We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Some words about parts off ebay and other non-oem distributors  (Read 1293 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I see this popping up in threads around here from time to time, and it bears repeating.  To eliminate problems in your builds, especially as beginners;

*Don't buy components off ebay, or Aliexpress, wish, etc.  This is especially true of vendors overseas.  Many times these parts are restamped low quality parts of substantially different rating than they claim to be.
Buy parts from reputable domestic vendors, like Digikey, Mouser, etc.  It may seem daunting, as there are usually many versions of a particular part, but if you don't know which one will work, ask for help here.  We'll do our best to help you sort them out.

The money you think you will save is usually lost chasing problems related to counterfeit parts.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some words about parts off ebay and other non-oem distributors
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 1535 UTC »
On the few occasions i've had to buy online, I've had very positive experiences buying off eBay.
Either I wasn't able to get a part from my usual supplier, or it was ridiculously expensive.
Maybe I've just been lucky.

For most run of the mill, low value parts, I stick to my usual local-ish supplier as I know I will usually have them delivered within a few days.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 1416 UTC »
I stick to Mouse/Digikey/Jameco most of the time, but occasionally need to go the eBay/China route when looking for ancient parts long out of stock from franchised distributors. So far so good, but it is a crap shoot.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 1958 UTC »
The only things I have purchased from Amazon or Ebay (general Ebay, not a dedicated Ebay store for some manufacturer) are wire, test clips, etc. and even with the simplest things there is risk.

I bought some 2 foot long coax cables with BNC connectors on both ends from Ebay and they are absolute shit. I tossed them out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 2038 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."