We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "Evolution" 4724khz USB 3/4/22 0230z  (Read 1468 times)

Offline unit-e

• View Profile
"Evolution" 4724khz USB 3/4/22 0230z
« on: March 04, 2022, 0320 UTC »
Robotic Male Voice, American English Accent

"This is Evolution, more to follow standby
ANRGYQ Standby
ANRGYQ Standby
ANRGYQ Standby
Message Follows
ANRGY6MJ4CQF4B3BYANC7R6ABDWQ...
This is Evolution out"

I couldn't find it listed in the database.

Offline tiNG

• JO44QO
  • DX since 1976
    • ICQ Messenger - 144821677
    • View Profile
    • German UTDX-Forum (entirely German...)
Re: "Evolution" 4724khz USB 3/4/22 0230z
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 0932 UTC »
Hi.

Not a numbers-station but the US-HFGCS.

@Admin / Moderators: Please move this topic. :-)
73 & 55
Thomas
Rüm hart – klaar kiming

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 1503 UTC »
unit-e,

As @tING said, this station is not generally considered a numbers station.  Yes, it is a coded message, and yes, it does contain numbers, but military traffic is not, generally, considered a "numbers" station.  There are exceptions, of course, but this is not one of them.

This station / schedule / transmission is not in the database because it is not a numbers station ;)

This is a coded message, assumed by hobbyist to be called either an FDM (Force Direction Message) or an EAM (Emergency Action Message), transmitted as part of the US military HF-GCS (High Frequency Global Communications System) network.  These messages have no specific schedule of transmission, although repeats often occur at 30 minute intervals.

This voice is live, not robotic.  The voice may be male or female, and often changes during a shift.  The voices heard for these messages are most typically US Air Force personnel, and typically enlisted ranks.  The callsign, in this case "Evolution", changes daily at 0000 UTC.  The callsign is generally 2 or 3 syllables, and may be one word or two.  The callsign is randomly selected from a pre-approved list of callsigns and may be reused.  Re-use of a callsign is uncommon, and it may be years between uses of the same callsign.

These messages are simulcast on 4724 // 8992 // 11175 // 15016 kHz.  All 4 frequencies are generally transmitted at the same time, and it is done from up to 13 different transmitter locations around the world.

You will also hear other traffic on this network, some of them will have fixed callsigns, and some will have the 24 hour rotating callsigns.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline unit-e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 0131 UTC »
Thank you both. I see @sigint opened a new topic on this under utilities. The message structure is identical to his logging of EAS/FDM.

First time I've caught one in my 7 years of swl/ham so I wasn't sure what I was hearing.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns