Loggings > Utility

8992 anomaly

(1/4) > >>

UtilitySeattle:
Weird noise heard all day on 8992 USB Sounds like a small prop plane buzzing around. Pretty sure it's not local interference. AnyWUN else hearing it?

https://voca.ro/1eeJFuQrmMC4

Token:
This thing has been present on 8992 in one form or another (it changes over time) since at least Dec 2021.  There is a pretty extensive thread concerning it on UDXF.

No one knows what it is, but the general consensus right now is that it is probably not a site in the HF-GCS network.  It is not data.  It is probably a failing transmitter.  It has been possibly geolocated (via TDOA) to Dakar.

Oh, and it is annoying.

T!

N9QIW:
I am hearing it as I type this on 8992 USB.   

paranoidandy:
I hear that here in Utah. Every so often you will here a coded message. "This is Evolution" then a string of characters in phonetics then "Evolution out". Found info on Wikipedia; HFGCS (HF Global Com. System) voice frequencies are 4724.0 kHz, 8992.0 kHz, 11175.0 kHz, and 15016.0 kHz. Been real curious of the motor sound as well.

~SIGINT~:
I concur with Token with regards to it not being a HFGCS site. I am one of the individuals working the case on the UDXF. I am also convinced that the frequency is 8991.0 kHz and over 4 kHz wide, hence why you hear it interfere with 8992.0 kHz.

As for the location, the speculations currently favour Dakar but I am not so certain about this. I have now run over 30 TDoA each having different results. I cannot get a consistent fix on the signal. Earlier today I did get a few hits around Dakar but right now I am getting fixes around Brest ... in the middle of the water.

Failing transmitter, no, probably not. I have an 18+ minute continuous recording of this from 00:40 UTC 2022-03-05. An "angry" modem, perhaps. For now we are calling it the "Buzz Saw".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version