Technical Topics > SDR - Software Defined Radio

KFS omni kiwi sdr "Masking" USAF global HF Frequency??

(1/4) > >>

Teotwaki:
Tried tuning in 11,175 KHz yesterday and I could see activity on the waterfall but no audio. Then I noticed this tag

So what sort of feature is this on the SDR and what is it normally used for? It was not applied to other global HF frequencies.

Thanks!

ChrisSmolinski:
KiwiSDR owners can mask or block certain frequencies or bands, so they cannot be listened to.

Usually this is done in response to abusive users, who will sit on a particular frequency for hours on end, tying up the receiver and preventing others from using it.

I've had to do it on a few frequencies, myself.

Teotwaki:
Thanks! That makes perfect sense. I had not thought about what the owner of a public SDR has to go through with abusers. I try to get in and out of SDRs as quickly as possible.

ChrisSmolinski:
I certainly don't mind if someone sits on a frequency for an extended period while they are actively listening - that's what the KiwiSDRs are for.  But sometimes you have to wonder...

The worst case I've had here is someone from Taiwan who would connect to all 7 of the KiwiSDRs here at the same time, and sit on a CHU frequency for 12+ hours. 

Charlie_Dont_Surf:

--- Quote from: ChrisSmolinski on March 12, 2022, 1614 UTC ---The worst case I've had here is someone from Taiwan who would connect to all 7 of the KiwiSDRs here at the same time, and sit on a CHU frequency for 12+ hours.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure it was some long term propagation studies with multiple antennas. The timestamps are built in. ;D  Or he reeeally wanted to be very, very, very sure that he had the time in English and French every minute.

I've seen this on some Russian KiwiSDRs too, where they have blocked reception of The Buzzer or the like. Example: http://msk.swl.su:8074/?f=4625usbz6

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version