We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 13020 out of band SOH Xi Wang Zhi Sheng or Chinese jamming S9+ 12:15UTC  (Read 923 times)

Offline nycrich425

• West Palm Beach, Florida
  • Monitoring HF/VHF/UHF/Satcom daily since 2001
    • View Profile
13020 out of band SOH Xi Wang Zhi Sheng or Chinese jamming S9+ 12:15UTC from Taiwan, however if being jammed by China, source heard might be from a different location. I really cannot tell the difference between Taiwanese and various Chinese languages to determine.
Airspy Discovery/SDR Uno MLA30+/W6LVP/Dressler Active Antennas/ Create Log Periodic/AT-GR197
Icom Icom R75/8600/8500/7100/7000/71-Kenwood 5000,
Ham callsign:KN4SCM

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
12:30 UTC - Loud and clear to my location. The EiBi database has this listed as CNR1 which is what I believe I am receiving.

RSPduo | Barker & Williamson antenna | Toronto, Ontario Canada

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
FYI - Am reposting this info:

Here are a few suggestions for ways to confirm if a station is actually Sound of Hope (SOH) broadcasting
from Taiwan or CNR1 program jamming broadcasting from China (PRC).

1) One positive way is to listen at the top-of-the-hour. CNR1 programming always has time pips, while SOH
never has any.

2) Find a known CNR1 frequency, that is to say a non-jamming frequency (6125 kHz. works well for me!),
then check to find if it is // to the station in question.

3) SOH is a religious station (established by practitioners of the Falun Gong), so has a more refined format.
At ToH usually has news and then a lot of monologues. Rather rare to hear music (pop). While the CNR1
format is fairly contemporary; many short segments; often with music; in general it has a much more upbeat
format than SOH.

4) After many years of listening to SOH, I find their audio slightly muffled; not a lot, just enough to be noticeable,
especially when compared to the crisp audio of CNR1.

5) It is not uncommon for SOH to be slightly off frequency; while CNR1 is on the exact frequency (xx.00).

6) Finally, if the station in question has fair to good reception, it almost certainly is CNR1 program jamming. SOH
stations use rather low power, hence fair-good reception would be extremely rare.

7) Here is a brief audio of the top-of-the hour format for Sound of Hope, with email address ("S-O-H") and Chinese ID
by man and woman ("Xiwang zhi sheng guoji guangbo diantai" - Sound of Hope International Broadcast Station):
https://app.box.com/s/85u8y0dj8spfovrjk496vj55qc79qafw .

Hope this helps.

Ron
California

Offline nycrich425

• West Palm Beach, Florida
  • Monitoring HF/VHF/UHF/Satcom daily since 2001
    • View Profile
Ron thanks for the info, very informative. I will take your ideas into consideration when listening not just for this station but others as well.
Airspy Discovery/SDR Uno MLA30+/W6LVP/Dressler Active Antennas/ Create Log Periodic/AT-GR197
Icom Icom R75/8600/8500/7100/7000/71-Kenwood 5000,
Ham callsign:KN4SCM

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Firedrake on 13020 KHZ @ 13:40 UTC coming in pretty strong this morning with YM/YL dialogue.   

SINPO: 3-3-2-3-3 with minor QSB swings
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago