We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Beginning 88.5 FM 1730 UTC 19 March 2022  (Read 2519 times)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Beginning 88.5 FM 1730 UTC 19 March 2022
« on: March 19, 2022, 2227 UTC »
While waiting in the parking lot of Westerly Hospital today I finally caught an FM Pirate.

When I'm by cities like Hartford, New Haven, Boston ect I will tune around the lower FM band looking for pirates. I have a list of several frequencies to check at different cities but have never had any luck.

Anyhow I had decent reception and audio at first and caught an ID right away,"88.5 FM, The Beginning" over Latin style music. I remember hearing their Shortwave broadcast and they mentioned their FM Frequency. A Spanish woman who said her name was Marie/Maria mention they have been trying to get their FM station back on the air after several months of serious technical problems with equipment, antenna, audio gear and fires in the studio, "Just about every Fricken thing has gone wrong..." and she went on for a little bit. This lady was quite funny with a seriously heavy Spanish accent. She sounded like Charo. The audio quality was very bad and may have been some interference from nearby stations. There was a lot of crackling type noise and cut outs then the power level just seemed to go down steadily for about 30 seconds then completely gone. What I managed to catch only lasted under 2 minutes.

I will try to dig up their email addy from the shortwave broadcasts and try to get some info. I may be able to pick this up at home.
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Beginning 88.5 FM 1730 UTC 19 March 2022
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 2232 UTC »
Here you go flexo:
thebeginning6965@gmail.com   Nice Catch!  I think I'm getting WVOF FM 88.5 (Fairfield University) :-\.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 2241 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Beginning 88.5 FM 1730 UTC 19 March 2022
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 2240 UTC »
Thanks!
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane