We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: USB trend noticed on both 75M and 40M? As well as C4FM.  (Read 1161 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
USB trend noticed on both 75M and 40M? As well as C4FM.
« on: March 21, 2022, 0419 UTC »
Has anyone else noticed this on both the 75M and 40M bands the last few months? I've been noticing USB being used more on these bands,  instead of LSB, mode. Now, as far as I know, there's nothing in the rules that says that an op can't do that, but even tonight, on 7296kHz, ops were in USB mode. Just an observation. Someone, around the AM portion of the 75M band, 3880kHz, is trying Yaesu's digital C4FM mode. They must be using the FT-991A, since it can do C4FM in HF. I have the FT-70D VHF / UHF C4FM HT, so it might me interesting to see if I can up-convert 3880kHz to 2M to decode that. (It would make for an interesting experiment.) 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
Re: USB trend noticed on both 75M and 40M? As well as C4FM.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 1735 UTC »
I know that the ops in the upper part of the 40m band use USB so that they don't interfere with and/or reduce interference from AM ops between 7290 and 7295. I've seen it a few times on 75/80m as well with ops trying to avoid interference from a nearby SSB QSO. Sometimes they do it to be different. The mode choice is just an agreement so nothing to stop them. I've heard FM on those bands once in a while, too.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: USB trend noticed on both 75M and 40M? As well as C4FM.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 2222 UTC »
I am surprised someone running FM on 3880 is not flattened by the usual big-iron AM enthusiasts around 3880-3885. As in legal limit plus PLENTY of "headroom." o.0

I often spot USB ops on 75m when doing a quick skim at night. I wanting to say usually around 3819-3820, but YMMV.

QRM can cause ops on a frequency to just switch to the other sideband instead of QSYing, too.

Also IIRC, older mil-spec PRC radios do only USB for voice on HF, and there are (were?) established nets and meeting spots for them.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip