We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 2M FM Simplex  (Read 1591 times)

Elf36

2M FM Simplex
« on: March 27, 2022, 1114 UTC »
Turned on my VHF rig while tuning HF bands. 2M has great conditions this morning. Running 20 watts into a small vertical @20' I was able to work a station 38 miles West of me (146.520 FM) at 11:13. I normally have a very tough time working to my West. It's a bit of a dead zone for some reason. There's a station running 50 watts into a vertical at 110' working just about the whole state. He's got a pretty great set-up for sure.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2M FM Simplex
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 1811 UTC »
Just glanced at the estimated MUF map. Consider giving 6m a try today. I suspect you might find opportunities for TEP DX into South America.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: 2M FM Simplex?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 1937 UTC »
Is there any way that you could get your VHF VERT above the tree, foliage, level? Being in the land of FL, I would believe that 20W on 2M could talk 38 miles daily. And, if you happen to have a 2M beam, you could bounce off of a tall BLDG and see how far you could get out. A friend of mine and I did that with 222MHz national Simplex FREQ 223.500MHz FM. He was over 20 miles away on a IC-3AT HT, (MAX'es-Out at 1.5W.), and I was on my base with a home-brew 1/4-Wave GND-plane. I talked him into downtown Corning, NY, mobile, then lost him. Minutes later, I heard him call me. He was standing 10ft from the front wall of a Wagmans Supermarket and found a sweet-spot to work me on his HT! If he moved a couple of feet, I couldn't hear him. It was a neat test. We also did that bouncing signals off of hills too. BTW, that trick works well on 440MHz, 446.000MHz simplex FM. Passing thoughts.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 2017 UTC »
Oh well. I noted a rather high MUF in SA earlier today, though yeah, our MUF was like 15MHz lower so 6m was a somewhat long shot.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 1727 UTC »
Sad

The furthest I ever worked simplex 2 meters fm was from Pennsylvania to FloriDA with a home made antenna up about 30' off the ground.

The most important part is to buy the very best coaX AND THE VERY BEST ANTENNA AND PUT IT UP ON A TOWER AT LEast 30 or 40 feet off the ground and buy a good radio - 50 watts - not one of those cheap POS chinese radios you see that are copycaTS of a good radio you should have bought in the first place.

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 1856 UTC »
The easiest way to work 2 meters fm simplex is to take a good 2 meters fm radio and install a mobile antenna beneath a airplane.

Then all you have to do is fly around at 1500' and get someone to log your contacts for you.

I listened to K6FUZ making contacts - 150 miles away, and he was never less than 20/9..

Although I don't agree with using 146.520 as a dx frequency, I will say that he did have a real pile up going on and had multiple offers for a place to stay for the night / weekend if he was willing to land his plane at their local airport..

That seems like a really good deal, to be able to fly anywhere and have offers of a free place to stay and a free ride from the airport.

Phil made it the whole way to where I live before he turned around and flew to the Pittsburgh international airport to refuel.

And Phil had been making non stop contacts on 2 meters FM from the time when he left Oshkosh Wisc that morning.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 1556 UTC by Polar Bear »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns