We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 4095.6 - the Desert Whooper Returns  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: 4095.6 - the Desert Whooper Returns
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 1624 UTC »
When I'm lying in the bunk of the campervan in a remote location, there's definitely something magical associated with receiving the signals from these distant (and probably also remote) beacons. I know I don't need to explain that kind of magic to you!

I was planning to head up to Silverton. A fellow camper was sending videos and pictures of the free camping locations there, and it looked beautiful. He sent me a video of a moose that was just 20 or 30 feet from their campsite. I had a fuel pump issue though and, by the time it was fixed, decided to head east into Utah instead. I do intend to make it to Silverton one day though.

Utah has an awesome array of great areas: Moab, Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Grand Staircase. A few weeks ago I was deep into the Maze District and could hear DW there.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2022, 2350 UTC »
Hello Dave

Thanks for  sharing your mobile DX. I have a Belka DX too, and it's an absolutely amazing little box (though the telescoping whip flopping around is a bit annoying, but..... )

Utah is great. How's listening there?
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2022, 0526 UTC »
syfr - yes, the Belka-DX is a very handy little radio. There are quite a few birdies throughout the spectrum but other than that, the performance for such a small receiver is excellent. As for the telescopic whip flopping around, there are 2 solutions that I know of. The first is to gently bend the lugs in the BNC jack, as shown in this video -

https://youtu.be/93Az-Y92yf0

The second is to fabricate a support bracket, details of which can be seen by joining the FB group called, "Belka DX Users" and performing a search for "antenna".

Other than listening for specific beacons, I haven't done any general SWL'ing while here in Utah yet. I need to rectify that!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 0528 UTC by Dave Richards »
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 2235 UTC »
Ive taken the narrow gauge up to Silverton many yrs ago. Timelessly beautiful country.

Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535