We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Nice set of mostly vintage rigs that this dude tests-out!  (Read 1228 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
https://swling.com/blog/2022/04/matts-2022-rooftop-receiver-shootout/       I'd still take either Drakes and that Panasonic. Electronics class in college had the Panasonic to try out, and it was used to listen to the oscillators that we've built in labs.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Nice set of mostly vintage rigs that this dude tests-out!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 1616 UTC »
I really enjoyed hearing the different audio samples, especially between the Drakes.  I'm always intrigued by receiver specs vs audio signature.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 0003 UTC »
I had a Drake R8A receiver.  Which in a fit of madness, I sold.   It was a nice receiver and worked well.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 0913 UTC »
I read that test report. Not much to learn. Waiting for a test about hard to hear signals, within crowded bands and in noisy conditions.

And of course, you always must remember the most important things about listening :
1. the signal
2. the antenna and local conditions
3. the receiver
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****