We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HRD-747 new RX 27 Apr 2022  (Read 1771 times)

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
HRD-747 new RX 27 Apr 2022
« on: April 27, 2022, 2058 UTC »
    If you go for a walk, take the new mini broadband receiver HRD-747 with you!
Interesting - there are already many descriptions.
     https://swling.com/blog/tag/hanrongda-hrd-747/
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
Re: HRD-747 new RX 27 Apr 2022
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 2221 UTC »
Yes, it does look interesting.  I wonder is it better than Xhdata D-808.  But, thanks for sharing the information.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 2352 UTC »
   Hi All - I watched a comparison of these receivers on YT and definitely ordered the HRD-747.
I appreciate its wide range of received frequencies, handiness and compact size like a telephone.
I am convinced that listening through headphones will compensate for its small speaker.
The antenna socket will allow you to connect a piece of Long wire antenna or a handy MLA-30 loop.
It can be an interesting solution for hanting during mobile trips.
I will be impatiently waiting one month for delivery.
      If any of you already have this receiver, write about your experiences!
       + QRM X-phase eliminator

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 0039 UTC »
   Hi All!!! I made myself a birthday gift for $ 85. My HRD -747 came from China within 11 days.
 Well packed with manual, USB cable, earphones, etui and arm hanging rope.
The battery is installed, but requires charging to start the receiver.
 It looks like a toy, and yet it conquers my heart more and more. Accustomed to computer-operated SDR receivers, I slowly grasp the keys and numerous functions of this receiver. Nice instruction here:   https://swling.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/HanRongDa-HRD-747-Operation-Manual.pdf
 It takes some effort to understand the operation and logic of operation. Here are my comments:
- the screen is small, which makes it difficult for me to read the information of small subtitles - until I learn them
- receiver is silent after switching on: check if SQL or SLEEP function is enabled
- the receiver hisses annoyingly in the AM bands, because without the presence of the station signal, it works at the maximum gain. Set SQL to the minimum cut-off level 01 and the radio will open the audio without delay when stations arrive. In the VHF / UHF bands this is very convenient, however ending the broadcast causes a "click" due to the SQL snap delay on the "empty" channel.
 The SQL level can be set individually on each of the ranges (but not on the FM BCS and WX bands not used in Europe - I am waiting for who will choose the processor switch)
- the receiver has good sensitivity, on HF it opens with SQL 01 when the signal level on the SDR with an external antenna showed S9 + 20.
In the AIR band, the signal from airplanes and TWR from the airport distant about 10km was at the level of 80dB, which, when the attenuator was set to DX, sometimes caused audio clogging.
Changing to NORMAL solved this problem.
   The sound on the SSB mode is unpleasant, use the widest audio band of 6 kHz
- In a car, FM / VHF / UHF bands are received without any problems, FM BCS works great.
  On HF / MW, the interference of a running engine kills the radio.
- plugging in an external antenna automatically turns on the LW range, which is modestly neglected in the descriptions. A ferrite or loop antenna will bring LW / MW enthusiasts a lot of fun.
- It is worth experimenting with the antennas - a short telescopic antenna may in some cases turn out to be no worse than an external 10m long wire. I was surprised to find that moving even just a few meters can fundamentally change the signal or noise level. Even such short antennas show directional properties on HF. Interestingly, the sloping position of the antenna can significantly increase the signal level or reduce interference (different wave polarization). Throwing the antenna on a tree does not have to be any better than stretching it on the ground (of course for the reception of some stations)
- it is not possible to directly enter the frequency of reception (no keyboard). There is a lot to learn here.
I advise you to enter your favorite frequencies in the memory (there are 100 addresses per range).
Select the band you are interested in and then recall the station.
- - press Memo> Tune UP / Down button to hear what you want
  Next method - wait until the word Preset disappears> move the Tune knob,
one of the displayed digits of the received frequency will change, note that a small triangle flashes in the field of this digit (it means that you can change this digit with the Tune knob).
 You can now select the digit you want to change by pressing the STEP button - the triangle will move one position from left to right until you move it to the first digit FRQ. This way you can search the range you receive.
    After a short time, the triangle will stop blinking, we can move on to the next method of fine tuning the receiver needed for SSB broadcasting!
You have to exit the Memory mode by pressing this button.  If you now press STEP (without moving the Tune knob), the word STEP will be displayed in the upper right corner and each press of it will select a value from 5 to 0.01 kHz.
 In this function, pressing the TUNE Up / Down button will tune the receiver to the selected step.
The TUNE knob still works by changing the digit marked with the triangle.
- note for automatic scanning: during this function previous frequency points memorized will be updated!
  You will discover the rest of the "knycology" in the manual and practice!
Sorry for my English and amateur approach to the subject!
  I wish you fun outdoors!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 2256 UTC by kris »
       + QRM X-phase eliminator