We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WWVA Wheeling, West Virginia  (Read 1431 times)

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
WWVA Wheeling, West Virginia
« on: January 11, 2022, 2153 UTC »
1170 KHZ @ 21:40 UTC with Sean Hannity program discussing  the  "Trump Derangement Syndrome" of Sen, Liz Cheney and Nancy Pelosi.
ID @ 21:50.

TX <> RX:  708 miles

Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: WWVA Wheeling, West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 0237 UTC »
Snagged them again tonite @ 02:10 UTC with YM interviewing YL on proper care of trees. Impressivel, deep discussion (if you like trees)😊
ID @ 02:31.

Tecsun 990 X with whip indoors
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 2343 UTC »
This is weird one. The license is held in WV but the transmitter and antenna's are across the river in Ohio. There's a big island in the middle of the Ohio River where most of the old town is and it is in WV. I wonder if the studio's are on that hunk of mud in the middle of the river?

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 0312 UTC »
 :D According t0 the always reliable (?) internet....
Contact - NewsRadio 1170 WWVA - iHearthttps://newsradio1170.iheart.com › contact
Our studios are located inside of the historic Capital Theatre in downtown Wheeling, WV. 

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 1851 UTC »
Their adr is Main St. which is on the east side of the river.  However, as mentioned, TX is in OH.
The sig is not that great in here at night for a 50kw station because the                                                                                           
nighttime pattern has most of the signal going east, probably so as not to interfere with the Tulsa station also on 1170.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 1920 UTC »
What's weird is that I don't heard them at night in SW WV, nor do I hear them in the daytime winters, when the ground has way better conductivity. I can hear KDKA nightly well, and weak on winter days. So, WWVA is a weird one.   https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?sr=Y&s=C&call=wwva&nav=home    Huh... For 50kW, daytime, they really don't have that great of a coverage.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 0844 UTC »
Soil conductivity is very poor in that region.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns