We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Becker bill to remove police radio encryption picks up support  (Read 1024 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
A bill authored by Sen. Josh Becker, D-Menlo Park, that would require law enforcement agencies throughout California to find alternatives to encrypting their radio communications cleared its first hurdle Tuesday when the Senate Public Safety Committee voted to advance the legislation.

https://paloaltoonline.com/news/2022/04/19/becker-bill-to-remove-police-radio-encryption-picks-up-support
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Becker bill to remove police radio encryption picks up support
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 2107 UTC »
If anyone has any smarts they should also look at repealing that stup bill which blocks cell phone bands in receivers destined for USA.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 2327 UTC »
" The decision by a number of law enforcement agencies to fully encrypt communication greatly limits the ability of journalists to serve the public."

This proposed legislation would be bothersome if journalists would actually serve the public, not themselves.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 2308 UTC »
Regardless, I fully support this.  I shouldn't have to own a $3K radio and have a buddy get me keys just to hear how my tax dollars are being wasted.  Anything to promote government accountability I'm in favor of.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 0028 UTC »
The biggest thief in my town was the mayor's son along with a crew of his buddies ,who cruised around in car equipped with the same transceiver the police and fire dept. used. That little turd went on an eight year theft spree and never spent a day in court or jail.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 0428 UTC »
Transparency. What a concept.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 0346 UTC »
Agree with all comments above. Locally, the Highway Patrol is not encrypted, and when certain events take place, the radio is often the only way to have any clue what actually happened. I'm thinking of a particular situation a few years ago, none of the details made the local news. As said above, "journalism" these days is a joke, and their stories are weak at best, outright propaganda most of the time. It could actually help the public image of the police (not sure if that's this politician's idea, probably not).
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns