General Category > General Radio Discussion

Kevin Miller, KM6AU, "Al Fansome"

(1/7) > >>

corq:
Kevin Miller, KM6AU, passed away May 5th 2022, from cardiac complications following a stroke. He is survived by 4 brothers and 2 sisters, and his longtime domestic partner, Lori Easterly.

He enjoyed the more esoteric radio hobbies, including “DXing” shortwave pirates, beginning his love of radio as a Caltech student making CB contacts via 70’s-era Tandy walkie-talkies. He never tired of hearing "weirdness" on the bands.

Kevin graduated from Caltech with a BS in Engineering in 1979. From home automation systems in the early 1980’s, to Industrial Control Systems and highway toll system infrastructure, he enjoyed a long engineering career, retiring in 2009 to move to Florida. Kevin was keenly curious to learn about this fabled “Florida man,” and inquire if he could apply for membership to this elite and fearless group.

He loved a variety of cats, big and small. He enjoyed the many friends and contacts he made at Winterfest, the radio forums, IRC WUNCLUB, and HF Underground Discord chats.

To his internet forum friends, he was simply the mischievous  “Al Fansome,” and he will be dearly missed.

Skipmuck:
My deepest condolences to Kevin's family and Lori. When I got back into shortwave/pirate listening in the Fall of 2013, I quickly found the HFU and the irc pirate chat. Things were still in turmoil over a recent pirate war, so to speak, and as a newbie in the irc chat, I messaged Al to ask him his take on the decline of the FRN and the pirate war. He replied at length and made it clear what happened. From that point on, I was wary of a certain element of pirate radio. I will miss those middle of the night/early "off the cuff" morning posts on the irc and the Rocket chat! I miss the hijinks between Pigmeat and Al.....that was a formidable force to be reckoned with! Rest in peace Al....you will be remembered in the hobby as an icon!

outhouse radio:
makes me sad to hear that --

rest in peace and may he catch all the weird dx

curious george:
Very sorry to hear this.  My condolences to Lori and Kevin's family.

Sealord:
Damn...I didn't know him personally, but enjoyed his presence and will miss his input.  RIP AF & condolences to you Corq & the Miller family.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version