We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Kevin Miller, KM6AU, "Al Fansome"  (Read 5290 times)

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
Kevin Miller, KM6AU, "Al Fansome"
« on: May 07, 2022, 2126 UTC »
Kevin Miller, KM6AU, passed away May 5th 2022, from cardiac complications following a stroke. He is survived by 4 brothers and 2 sisters, and his longtime domestic partner, Lori Easterly.

He enjoyed the more esoteric radio hobbies, including “DXing” shortwave pirates, beginning his love of radio as a Caltech student making CB contacts via 70’s-era Tandy walkie-talkies. He never tired of hearing "weirdness" on the bands.

Kevin graduated from Caltech with a BS in Engineering in 1979. From home automation systems in the early 1980’s, to Industrial Control Systems and highway toll system infrastructure, he enjoyed a long engineering career, retiring in 2009 to move to Florida. Kevin was keenly curious to learn about this fabled “Florida man,” and inquire if he could apply for membership to this elite and fearless group.

He loved a variety of cats, big and small. He enjoyed the many friends and contacts he made at Winterfest, the radio forums, IRC WUNCLUB, and HF Underground Discord chats.

To his internet forum friends, he was simply the mischievous  “Al Fansome,” and he will be dearly missed.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 2132 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kevin Miller, KM6AU, "Al Fansome"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 2320 UTC »
My deepest condolences to Kevin's family and Lori. When I got back into shortwave/pirate listening in the Fall of 2013, I quickly found the HFU and the irc pirate chat. Things were still in turmoil over a recent pirate war, so to speak, and as a newbie in the irc chat, I messaged Al to ask him his take on the decline of the FRN and the pirate war. He replied at length and made it clear what happened. From that point on, I was wary of a certain element of pirate radio. I will miss those middle of the night/early "off the cuff" morning posts on the irc and the Rocket chat! I miss the hijinks between Pigmeat and Al.....that was a formidable force to be reckoned with! Rest in peace Al....you will be remembered in the hobby as an icon!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 0153 UTC »
makes me sad to hear that --

rest in peace and may he catch all the weird dx

Offline curious george

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 1259 UTC »
Very sorry to hear this.  My condolences to Lori and Kevin's family.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 1515 UTC »
Damn...I didn't know him personally, but enjoyed his presence and will miss his input.  RIP AF & condolences to you Corq & the Miller family.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 1218 UTC by Sealord »
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 1616 UTC »
Though I never had the chance to meet Kevin in person, we "knew" each other online for many years, back to the old IRC days, and probably before that. My condolences to his and Lori's families. He will be greatly missed.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 1625 UTC »
Thank you to everyone here <3

Fansome enjoyed the hobby to almost the exclusion of all other hobbies. When he worked late nights in Pennsylvania in the 90's and early 2000's, he'd listen for pirates from his test-bed "trailer" in Harrisburg. We became friends on IRC when I needed a quick resource on desert beacons while visiting Vegas for Defcon (spoilers: I never found any) but he had follow up security questions about a project he was working on, and we sort of grew fond of each other from there, finally meeting person at a DC-area meetup the year after.

He was painfully shy in person, but we hit it off, and he moved down a year later to join my household and rogue band of cats. As I understood it, prior to us meeting, he'd worked many long hours in the toll system projects, listening to the bands all night long (hence those weird, exhausted missives at 4am...). You guys helped him get through some very tough times through the early years before we'd met.

I hope it will provide comfort to you guys to know he had the radio at his bedside, enjoying his last few months with what he loved most. You are a wonderful community, and I'm so glad you were for here for us. <3

PS: And yes, I called him "Fanny" around the house, much to his chagrin...

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 1643 UTC »
I'm very sorry to hear of this.  I always enjoyed the banter between Al and Pigmeat.  Its been a little darker around here since.

All the best from myself and the OP to you Corq and friends and family.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 0956 UTC »
Thank you to everyone here <3

Fansome enjoyed the hobby to almost the exclusion of all other hobbies. When he worked late nights in Pennsylvania in the 90's and early 2000's, he'd listen for pirates from his test-bed "trailer" in Harrisburg. We became friends on IRC when I needed a quick resource on desert beacons while visiting Vegas for Defcon (spoilers: I never found any) but he had follow up security questions about a project he was working on, and we sort of grew fond of each other from there, finally meeting person at a DC-area meetup the year after.

He was painfully shy in person, but we hit it off, and he moved down a year later to join my household and rogue band of cats. As I understood it, prior to us meeting, he'd worked many long hours in the toll system projects, listening to the bands all night long (hence those weird, exhausted missives at 4am...). You guys helped him get through some very tough times through the early years before we'd met.

I hope it will provide comfort to you guys to know he had the radio at his bedside, enjoying his last few months with what he loved most. You are a wonderful community, and I'm so glad you were for here for us. <3

PS: And yes, I called him "Fanny" around the house, much to his chagrin...

You were the best thing to ever happen to him, Corq. I can remember the night he told me he was moving to Florida. He asked me if he
should do it. I told him, "Why not, it's not like you're getting any younger." and he was off to Florida. BTW, that "Fanny" thing provided me with much ammo in our 20 year "feud."

I'm still in shock over the news.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 2138 UTC »
Al Fansome isn't dead, he's resurrected at CalTech. He always has and always will as long as that institution survives. Hail the risen Alluvial O. Fansome! 

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 1325 UTC »
Al Fansome isn't dead, he's resurrected at CalTech. He always has and always will as long as that institution survives. Hail the risen Alluvial O. Fansome!

Speaking of shock, I'm in shock to see you again after a very long absence. Welcome back!

I don't read most of the boards here these days, and just happened to see that you had the latest comment and I thought, huh? Where you been? I honestly thought you must have passed away.

Regarding Fansome, I'm afraid I didn't have enough interactions with him. I know he was an important figure in the pirate community, but I came along too late to get the jokes which clearly were among friends. But I am sorry to read about his passing. Here's hoping the best for those he's leaving behind.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 1536 UTC »
Speaking of shock, I'm in shock to see you again after a very long absence. Welcome back!

Glad to see you back as well Pigmeat!
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 2127 UTC »
Thank you. I'd given up broadcasting in 2009, then stuck around long enough to protect others from the Wabbit gang's clutches. When I found out the Wabbit was actually dead and not faking it again, I moved on.

I wouldn't have missed my pal Al's send off for anything in the world. His likeness should be put on Mount Rushmore.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 2200 UTC »
Thank you. I'd given up broadcasting in 2009, then stuck around long enough to protect others from the Wabbit gang's clutches. When I found out the Wabbit was actually dead and not faking it again, I moved on.

I wouldn't have missed my pal Al's send off for anything in the world. His likeness should be put on Mount Rushmore.

Fair enough. Just want you to know that you've been missed around these parts. Al will be too. Take care, but do check in every now and again.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 0415 UTC »
Fansome lives on in those who believe ;-)

Pigmeat was Fansome's spirit animal.

I am thankful for Pigmeat's return.

Long live Pigmeat.

Long Live Al Fansome.