We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dayton Hamvention  (Read 1237 times)

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
Dayton Hamvention
« on: May 17, 2022, 1750 UTC »
Any HFU folks planning to attend the Dayton Hamvention this weekend?
SDR-IQ / IC-R70 / IC-735 / FT-817ND / FT-991A, RSPduo,5 band vertical
Near Music City, TN

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Dayton Hamvention?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 1848 UTC »
I wish... Usual deal, can't get off-work and can't afford to. So, maybe next decade. Assuming that I can get past this one. Anyway, have fun!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Dayton Hamvention
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 1937 UTC »
Anyone here been to Xenia? I never attended either place, but from others' stories, Hamvention being held at Hara was part of the "adventure." Like the now infamous 2011 "flooding" incident. o.0
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 1722 UTC »
Prior to the kung-flu myself and the OP would make the journey every year.  Dayton had its charms, and yes, I was there for 'Crapapocalypse'.  Some of the key pieces of the station came from there, including both my previous linear amps.  Xenia is a nice venue, sans the stench of a thousand horses from the stables.  The down side is unlike Dayton, most of the flea market is on grass.  If (when) it rains, it's mud city.  Speaking of which the weather is always unpredictable.  I've seen wind, sun, thunder, and sleet over the last decade.

I wish I was there.  Fun stuff to look at, but with the price of gas and the work schedule what it is, I just couldn't make it this year.  Maybe next one.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 0322 UTC »
The local natives told settlers not to build at what's now Xenia, the area was cursed. Did they listen, no. Now dodging tornado's is a local pastime.

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 1704 UTC »
Due to declining health, I was not able to attend.

I looked into renting a mobility scooter - $400 -- which was out of my price range.

Yes, all the complaints are valid.

Unfortunately with gasoline $5 a gallon, u can buy stuff cheaper via EBAY than you can travel to OHIO, spend a whole lot of money and not get a whole lot of value.

In our society - Dayton has become the American Version of the place to see and be seen.

If you are a big shot with a couple thousand dollars - and don't care about wasting it on a weekend where all you do is travel, walk around, spend money like its going out of style, and maybe attend a seminar or two - put on by people that don't know a whole heck of a lot more than you do - then knock yourself out.