We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Nordern lights in Poland 17/18 Aug 2022  (Read 1438 times)

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nordern lights in Poland 17/18 Aug 2022
« on: August 18, 2022, 1933 UTC »
     Last night on Aug 17/18, we had aurora borealis over northern Poland again!
 I did not see it in the sky, but I was surprised by such a poor propagation in the 49m band that I checked if my antennas were hanging in their place.
    I was especially oversensitive because the day before I launched another 120m Sky Loop antenna, suspended at a height of 37m above the ground. I am a bit disappointed with it - I expected fireworks,
 and here it is just so-so. I'm glad it's just different from my big low SL that I'm staring at.
 It just has a different signal and noise level, different angles and directions of the flaps.
 In these antennas, the length of the circumference is more important than the height of the suspension.
 I will write about the details in the Equipment thread after a few days of observation and VNA measurements.
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Nordern lights in Poland 17/18 Aug 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 0141 UTC »
The late Wayne Green wrote an article on these "Lazy Loops" as he called them for transmitting in his "73 Magazine" about 20 years ago. They tested the things and reported they worked best about 15 ft. off the ground and were good for multi-band use until you got above the 20 meter band.

Wayne did all sorts of odd antenna experiments. He once mounted a 120 watt light bulb on a 8 ft. fence post and made CW contacts up and down the US West Coast

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 2255 UTC »
We had a few nearby sunfarts, one directed at us and a bit stronger could make us all live amish for a while.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 0001 UTC »
Ask Andy "Shorts" Yoder about the Amish, he was raised with them, Josh. They're secretly pretty tech savvy and just waiting for their chance to take over.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 1843 UTC »
I suspected as much! ! !
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.