We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Midnight Hifers  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
Midnight Hifers
« on: May 25, 2022, 1615 UTC »
I've been allowing my receive setup to run overnight at weekends, with some interesting results seen, on occasion, through the night. More details are available, along with screenshots, over at LWCA.

It's not uncommon at the moment to see longer path HiFERs here at my NorCal QTH late into the evening and sometimes into the early hours.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Midnight Hifers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 1839 UTC »
I've noted some late night Caribbean propa going on on 20m lately, so low power cw a mhz lower at the same time is plausible.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 0010 UTC »
It is quite repeatable, even. Monitoring over 13th/14th August this weekend demonstrated beacon reception and WSPR decodes throughout the night.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 1959 UTC »
Propagation modelling, arbitrarily choosing Washington, DC as the TX site, says that ~0100 to 0400 UTC has the best reliability to NorCal right now out of the whole 24 hour cycle. 0300 UTC shown below for reference (30-40% reliability). Forgetting about the exact numbers for a moment, you can see that the best conditions to the west are in our evenings.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 2005 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 1735 UTC »
That would certainly tally with recent observations. Very interesting, Thanks!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns