We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FM DX Propagation 31 JAN 2023  (Read 793 times)

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
FM DX Propagation 31 JAN 2023
« on: February 01, 2024, 0022 UTC »
I am not an active FM DXer, and it was only a relatively short hop, but around 12:00AM EDT earlier today I noted an occurrence of FM BCB propagation

WCFB Deland on 94.5 at ~80 miles away was knocked out temporarily by WARO Fort Myers at ~300 miles away. Lasted several minutes.

The tropospheric ducting forecast for 1/30/2024 predicted marginal to fair conditions for propagation along Florida's west coast.

BTW, it certainly was not the antenna. ;) I have one of those small inexpensive Bingfu dipoles vertically oriented in a window for local FM BCB. At 10" wide it likely would be much better suited for UHF. Anyway, it was padding for free shipping of an Amazon order, and it looks slightly better than the two wires I had there previously.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 0645 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip