We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: some recent longwave logs  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
some recent longwave logs
« on: January 20, 2013, 0540 UTC »
I've managed some longwave DXing lately, and here are the results.  New job (!) isn't kicking my butt quite so badly now, time-wise, so I'm actually awake when conditions start to be decent.  If nothing else, there are always the weekends.  

I'm still amazed at the 1/18 catch, though.  How I pulled that off, I do not know.  I'll call it akin to hearing KOA on 850kHz and just count myself fortunate.  Tonight's been crazy for Ontarians, though.  

1/18/2013  
329, TAD - Trinidad, Colorado NDB, 0532.  Morse ID's with several seconds between.  Signal only audible on a fade-up, slight difficulties in copying.  Signal fair.  SIO 333.  

1/20/2013  
355, YWP - Webequie, Ontario NDB, 0458.  Morse ID's with dashes between.  Signal fair, audible with slight difficulty copying.  SIO 333.  
350, RG - Gally, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma NDB, 0502.  Morse ID's with several seconds between.  Signal fair, audible under YKQ in Waskiganish, Quebec.  SIO 323.  
334, YER - Fort Severn, Ontario NDB, 0508.  Morse ID's with dashes between.  Signal fair to good, audible along with/underneath YLD in Chapleau, Ontario.  SIO 434.  
224, MO - Moosonee, Ontario NDB, 0518.  Morse ID's with dashes between.  Signal fair, audible alongside and beneath YYW in Armstrong, Ontario.  SIO 333.  

You lot get my full, wordy logs, as I can't be bothered to edit them down.  Heh.  Would you believe we have a Mosinee in Wisconsin?  Similar to the Ontarian city name, but not quite the same.  I've noticed a lot of Ontarian names could be Wisconsinite, no doubt due to the First Nations influences in both locations.  Still surprised and pleased at that Oklahoma City catch, too.  :D  

Edited to add: Aaaaaand one more.  This's also from 1/20. 

278, FD - Earli, Poplar Bluff, Missouri NDB, 1004.  Morse ID's with a few seconds between.  Signal fair at best, though fluttery and subject to some rapid fading.  SIO 323. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 0756 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.