We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Libya heard in Wisconsin, 1/30 1958Z  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Radio Libya heard in Wisconsin, 1/30 1958Z
« on: January 30, 2013, 2153 UTC »
I'm still amazed that I caught even a whisper of this one.  Could I have misidentified this one?  I never could get an ID, and I know at least one religious broadcaster used to use this frequency.  They seem to have moved with the winter schedule change, and Libya is the only broadcaster I could find listed as on 11600.  I am boggled.  Thrilled, too!  I've been trying for this one for months, no joy.  Then suddenly today - boom! 

11600, Radio Libya, 1958-2010Z.  Talk mainly from a male presenter, presumably news, from tune-in to tune-out.  Language was Arabic with what sounded like French influences, which would be understandable.  Signal almost fair at peaks, at or just above the noise floor otherwise.  SINPO 33233. 

Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Libya heard in Wisconsin, 1/30 1958Z
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 0257 UTC »
Very nice. Have tried to grab them on occasion, but never have found them.

short-wave.info shows them on 0900-2130Z daily and the only broadcaster on 11600 at any time.

Will have to try and hunt them again... If I remember tomorrow morning, will try them before going to work.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 0136 UTC »
That was one of the sources I consulted before I went anywhere with that log, the other being EiBi.  Both pretty darn trustworthy.  I'm still in awe of catching that one at all.  :) 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 0434 UTC »
Listened this morning and this evening and heard nothing.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline kmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 0851 UTC »
Possible that it was- yesterday was fabulous dxing. Many stations heard that I've rarely to ever have caught.
BBC via Kranji heard well here in Arizona, R Amazona(!) fair to poor amazing- all of the Koreans fair including Voice of Hope 6003. AFN 5765 usb was quite listenable as well. RNZ is usually rather poor but was good, R Aus Shepparton good, even CFRX 6070 (not a usual catch)  was fine. All around 10:30 and later UTC. Not a QSLer so no logs set in stone (or paper..) R Aus boomed in better than MW locals- gorgeous receptions. 4905 khz spanish? unsure, and not good enough copy to ID - either way it could have been Radio Relogia at 5kW brazil, or another brazilian at 1kW R Anhanguera.

One unid 5858.7(?) very narrow band with what  YL mil-sounding like "comms check, comms check" then data streams mode I am not familiar with. QRG closest mark was 5.8594 mhz for sailmail, possible considering unfamiliar with sailmail digi-sounds.

Conditions were excellent from about 10:30UTC til 12:00 UTC/530am local time.

Hopeful for similar conditions again today. This time with logs as they could be useful considering the exceptional catches.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 2235 UTC »
I've had some pretty wild conditions here myself the last two days or so, especially to East Africa.  Last night netted me Eritrea and Somaliland/Somalia on 7180 and 7120 respectively, both much clearer than usual.  This morning I had Voice of the Tigray Revolution on 5950 for the first time.  I'm going to try for a proper log tomorrow morning - couldn't then due to life interfering.  Ah well.  I also had a tentative Djibouti on 4780, and a tentative Swaziland TRW on 4775 both last evening and the night before.  If I get Djibouti properly, I will be delighted! 

If conditions are like this all across the board, it's no wonder Libya came in!  I wish Voix Du Sahel were on later on weekends; I'd try for them too.  Alas. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 2243 UTC »
Nice logs, Chanter!

I agree with respect to E Africa.  UBC 4976 was in very fat last night.  My white whale on 5066 had a good het as early as 0340, but still not a trace of audio.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 2337 UTC »
4976 had a carrier last night, but I didn't investigate.  I thought that was the Voice of Iranian Kurdistan!  Oops.  I'll have to check that one again tonight.  As for your 5066 station... now I'm curious! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns