We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Unusual Signals  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Radio_El_Es

• View Profile
    • Email
Unusual Signals
« on: June 19, 2022, 1756 UTC »
Does anyone have any idea what these signals are (see attached)?  It's very wide-banded and on some SDRs it shows up as "dots".  On the KiwiSdr it shows as red pulses on the spectrum.  Listening to it they have a distinct pulse.  It's not local QRM as it is periodically showing up on multiple SDRs both online and by private users.  This was the subject of "OfficialSWLChannel"'s live stream last night.  It's very curious.  Here's a link to the screenshot:  https://app.box.com/s/59nx4a942d6yjslpuzehl7gnu5f76mku  73

« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 1758 UTC by Radio_El_Es »

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Unusual Signals
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 1832 UTC »
That is interesting as I get these as well. I just recently moved and initially attributed this to some kind of local interference which I had planned to investigate once I get a chance. I do not recall receiving these from my previous location therefor this may be fairly recent.

~SIGINT~
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 1836 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline Radio_El_Es

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 2022 UTC »
Thanks for responding.  What's odd is that the signal spans the entirety of the 19 and 20 bands (in this example) and stays on for very long periods, often until those bands lose propagation.  At first, I thought it might be some sort of "new" ionosonde technology, but why for just two segments of the spectrum?  The other question is, what the heck kind of device is transmitting simultaneously on all those frequencies without causing QRM to existing frequencies.  None of the hams or SW broadcasters seem to be affected.  At least none of the ones I listened to while monitoring the pulses.  Very odd.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 0031 UTC »
QRM to existing frequencies

Well, it sure was interfering with my reception of WWV on 15 MHz. I could hear it chirping away on the edge.. If you look at the second screen shot you will notice that it is well within the WWV band-pass.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 2146 UTC »
An audio, or preferably a iq recording might generate some clues. My guess is its very powerful and widebanded and thus a state actor, if not a local qrm source.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns