We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: This forum: European SW pirate/private stations  (Read 10687 times)

Offline ukdxer

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Shortwave DX blog
    • Email
Re: About this forum
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 1750 UTC »
I'm looking at the list of private stations - some are still very much "free radio" stations, albeit with a licence. Dutch stations like Piepzender & Delta are former pirates and still have a pirate attitude to broadcasting -  they don't follow a fixed schedule and have a pop/Dutch music format. Mike Radio was licensed for a while but then went back to being a pirate.

Then there's the pirates who hire airtime on big 100kW transmitters, like Studio 52, but also can be heard broadcasting with their own transmitter.

Other stations like Shortwave Service might be low power but many of their relays are of state broadcasters, so shouldn't be included.

I think there should be some flexibility as to what station logs are posted - I think if they are "free radio", whether pirate or not, they should be included.

I agree a separate area for Euro MW pirates would be good. Maybe if there was a separate section more people would post MW loggings. A number of the Dutch MW pirates are quite international with English IDs, high power, looking for reception reports on the Pirate Chat and sending out eQSLs.

This is a great forum and I visit it every day.

QTH: South West England
shortwavedx.blogspot.com
ukdxer@yahoo.co.uk

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 1825 UTC »
All;

From my perspective, I favour the compartmentalization approach, the main reason being functionality based on what I listen to and wish to consult and/or log.

I for one routinely do not care about the licenced stations, or some of the other board topics for that matter, and as such with just one click of the mouse will use the "Mark Read" button to bulk mark the messages as read and clear their status flags. Combining topics within the same forum heading will greatly reduce that functionality and result in having to scan the topics in order to only read the ones that are of interest.

My philosophy is that what is established for North America should be mirrored for Europe. The end user should be able to frequent section(s) of interest with maximum ease and flexibility. I for one infrequently consult the European Pirate section other than for mainly "The Vault" as that signal does reach North America and my location so it is of interest to me. Most other European pirates do not reach and as such I mark them as read in bulk.

As Chris mentioned:
I've also considered creating a second board specifically for European MW pirates ...
I personally do favour compartmentalization. Albeit these may turn out to be low traffic forums, if a user feels like trying to listen to European MW pirates, then the option is there and easy to get to. You may be surprised. As for one, I am totally surprised at the amount of readership and correspondence I have received about my static HFGCS Force Directional Message (FDM) and Emergency Action Message (EAM) Log. That steady and ever increasing readership is what keeps me posting and keeping this log active.

I like the HFU and its functionality which is the reason I joined it.

Thank you to Chris for funding it and keeping it alive and the moderators for keeping things sane and in the right forum location.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 1848 UTC »
Thanks to everyone for posting their suggestions on how to best organize loggings of the various stations we listen to.

We'll keep this thread going for as long as it takes to reach an overall consensus on what the organization of the related boards should be.

We should also keep in mind this is "just" a hobby, and the world will continue to go on no matter how we categorize radio stations. At the end of the day we all want to enjoy the hobby.  Also let's continue to keep this discussion polite and respectful. And be aware that not everyone is a native speaker of English, and sometimes the nuances of language can be misinterpreted.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Normz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 2016 UTC »
IF IT ISN’T BROKEN DON’T FIX IT!!
I’m a relatively new user, I really don't see the point in messing with something that’s working fine.
Leave it alone, it great as it is.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 2115 UTC »
Perhaps the introduction of Child Boards such as the Broadcast Announcements one that is found under the Shortwave Pirate forum can be an option to consider. Even having a dedicated Broadcast Announcements child board under the European Pirates forum would benefit that community of operators. I do find the Broadcast Announcements very useful.

Rename Shortwave Pirate to North American Shortwave Pirates

European Pirates
     Broadcast Announcements
     MW Free Radio
     Private Stations

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 0857 UTC »
I echo NORMZ's post as things are fine as they are.

If anything I tire (yawn) of All the posts of legit stations and anything 'CB' related (yawn x2).

HFUNDERGROUND is the name of the forum.

Why not remove All the non underground stuff then?

'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline The Vault Keeper

• Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 1340 UTC »
From a listener / user point of view. I believe this will be a step backwards. Users will now be in a mixed listing made up of stark polar opposites - licensed and unlicensed operators hammered together with no reference or indication as to what is what. The core information that many users require regarding the status of what they hear will neither be shown nor available. Very often the legality or lack of... is the most unique difference between various transmissions and the proposal is now to disregard this.

I would echo the comments of others in that consistency across the forum should be observed. I note the Shortwave Pirate section pertaining to US loggings does not list “private” FCC licenced stations no matter how small or large it is uniquely made up of Pirate listings. I believe the European Pirate section should reflect this for continuity purposes and ease of use if nothing else...
If you’re gonna play it - Play it Loud.....

Offline Misti-Radio

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 1402 UTC »
Good afternoon.

Legale pirate's list MW from NL below.

https://www.radio-tv-nederland.nl/am/am.html

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 1456 UTC »
I echo NORMZ's post as things are fine as they are.

If anything I tire (yawn) of All the posts of legit stations and anything 'CB' related (yawn x2).

HFUNDERGROUND is the name of the forum.

Why not remove All the non underground stuff then?

This is a bad idea. The non underground sections of the forum can still be useful to the people who are interested in SWBC and other legal things on the shortwave spectrum. I have yet to find any other forum with a SWBC section that has as much activity and as many useful posts as the HFU. If you do not find legal transmissions interesting, then don’t visit that part of the forum! There are parts of this forum that are of no interest to me as well but I would never propose removing them just because I don’t like them. Also, I have edited my previous post on this thread and added some more ideas.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 1533 UTC by Shortwave_listener »
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline europirate

• DX Legend
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 1551 UTC »
Perhaps the introduction of Child Boards such as the Broadcast Announcements one that is found under the Shortwave Pirate forum can be an option to consider. Even having a dedicated Broadcast Announcements child board under the European Pirates forum would benefit that community of operators. I do find the Broadcast Announcements very useful.

European Pirates
     Broadcast Announcements
     MW Free Radio
     Private Stations

I like this idea from SIGINT, works for me
JRC NRD-515 & NRD-545
SDRplay RSPdx
Various wire antennas ... Global AT-1000 ATU
Shazam is the DXer's friend!

Offline Big Badfish Al

• DXing Phenomena
  • Central Pennsylvania
  • FFFR and 73's mateys
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 1827 UTC »
Hope that we can do this for the North American sections for stations like WBCQ  and LPAM and LPFM fall in the same situation. Hard to tell if the station is pirate or not for a lot of LPAM which are legal to a degree over power their signal for more distance then they would a pirate station. There are a few LPAM stations that fall in this situation like The Valley 1620, The Edge 1620, and a few others MW AM stations that seem to be legal but are not.

What ever Chris does is okay but even in North America we have the same issues.

Thank you for letting me post my opinion. 
Reciever: Degen DE-1103

PSE-QSL to big_badfish_al@proton.me Note new email address.
Listening to pirate radio since 1980 on the EAST COAST USA - located in Central PA USA
73's and FFFR 
Favorite stations of the past were WDX, KPRC, KQRP,  Radio Clandestine, Radio Newyork International, and The Electric Budda.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 2208 UTC »
Eh hem..

Appreciate the effort BTW, Really..

I'm not overly concerned.

Everything's Fine..

'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Intruder

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 2247 UTC »
I think this new change is going to throw people off  ???

Just like ebay, get used to one way and "hold up" lets change it and confuse everyone again.

DX-394 and PA0RDT mini whip antenna in the UK

Offline Syck0

• somewhere in the ionisphere
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2022, 0856 UTC »
I just hope one day everyone can live in "Radio Heaven" .  ;D
Flying high thru the sky on these electromagnetic waves :)
Now accepting QSL's ! Feel free to send QSL's to SYCKORADIO@GMAIL.COM  Thanks

Offline Radio Parade

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2022, 2130 UTC »
I've just seen the new name (and subtitle) of this European forum.
So it's now clear that small SW pirate and/or private  stations are welcomed here, independently of their legal status or no status or unknown status.

But it is now written that this forum is for SW. So excluding all logs below 1800 kHz ? Mixing them with the (American) MW pirate makes no great sense. Well, I have to see if there is much in that forum...
To be continued,

Ray

Strictly speaking anything below 3 Mhz or a longer wavelength than 100m is no longer shortwave, and anything above 30 Mhz or shorter than 10 meters, is also no longer shortwave.  I have no problem with MW euro-pirate logs, if and when their reception is international and not local only. But it is true, 1600-1700 khz is no longer shortwave
Radio Parade International