We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Aquarius  (Read 879 times)

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Radio Aquarius
« on: July 02, 2022, 1647 UTC »
https://hackaday.com/2022/06/28/an-epic-tale-of-pirate-radio-in-its-golden-age/

Six part series on Radio Aquarius from the early 70s.
Was a treat to watch.
This is when pirates were f*cking pirates!
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
Re: Radio Aquarius
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 1843 UTC »
Thanks for posting this! In the '90s, I read a long, multi-part story about the station history from one of the Radio Aquarius ops. I wrote to the author at the time & he'd hoped to write & publish a book about it. I thought it was really amazing stuff (and still do)
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Aquarius
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 0034 UTC »
Andy,
You’re welcome - it’s a great series of videos.  True pioneers.  They were incredibly bold - at one point going back on the air the day after getting the knock.  And their cat & mouse game with Gordon of the PO is like a Monty Python sketch.
Hope you are well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 0050 UTC by fpeconsultant »
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.