We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Any pirate activity heard on the 11M Int BC Band?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Any pirate activity heard on the 11M Int BC Band?
« on: July 08, 2022, 1901 UTC »
With propagation jamming both with F2 and summer "E" skip, you'd think that someone would be using the forgotten 11M International Broadcast Band, 25.670MHz - 26.100MHz. Just 5W and a retuned CB antenna can work wonders on that band. CB Outbanders are kind of dull to listen too, after a while. That band could be done well via mobile as well. Passing thoughts???
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Re: Any pirate activity heard on the 11M Int BC Band?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 1953 UTC »
I have thought about this and it might work very well. The problem though is that in the USA, demonstrating the FCC’s great ability to allocate spectrum, it is allocated both as a broadcast band and a Studio to Transmitter Link band. While the only broadcast station I am aware of in the band is World Music Radio in Denmark, there are STL’s from the USA that you would not want to interfere with. However, as you say it would be easily possible to operate mobile. You could pre-record your program and put it on the air while driving around. Good luck locating a broadcast from a moving vehicle. It would make locating your station nearly impossible, which would be very useful. I don’t know if a CB would have a good enough frequency response for music, but it might if you feed the audio directly into it.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

UncleJohn

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 2302 UTC »
Aha! I was just about to start my post with "I'm probably gonna display my ignorance more than anything else..." blah blah
then me eye caught ThaDood mention "E" skip". I subscribe to spaceweather.com & whenever sunspot activity suddenly comes to the fore I usually listen to CB chit chat. Guaranteed interesting listening...@ least for a while. So if Pirates began occasionally experimenting (they can report their future times/frequ.'s on hfu) they will almost certainly be receiving new qsl requests.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 0123 UTC »
I've tuned in the 11 meter CB and outband several evenings and afternoons and have heard nothing but static.

I don't think the sunspots are cooperating for pirates being that high up, although when the cycle kicks in in a year or two, I'm sure it would hold promise, as most SWBC bands are close to el-deado when compared to 2012 or 2002.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 0406 UTC »
The State I live in used to use a frequency up there for STL for public radio. However, since the international broadcasters have faded away, I rarely tune around up there.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 1509 UTC »
At last count there were three STLs left up around 26 MHz, but that was a few years ago. I am not sure when any were most recently logged.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Any pirate activity heard on the 11M Int BC Band? Past hint?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 2010 UTC »
Uh-huh... That's what I'm getting at, a pretty much wide, open, little used, International Shortwave Band. So, when the opportunity presents itself, propagation-wise, may pirates go nuts!  Past hint-hint... The FREQ 26.015MHz has been tried and heard. Why that FREQ? Nothing found listed there, or heard, and CB Outbanders have a better chance of tuning there, on a 5kHz FREQ, than an even 000kHz FREQ. And, it was my understanding that some actually did, 20-some years ago. So, you'll just never know.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 0646 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 0638 UTC »
Obviously, it would be an OK spectrum for pirates once prop picks up. I haven't heard much, as noted before. Even channel 38, the SSB standby, has been pretty spare.

Now and then some outband activity, but not much.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 1905 UTC »
Heck, the 11M BC Band would even be decent for local coverage, is CB walkies-talkies proved anything. A 1 channel, 100mW, CB HT covered a whole small town and a pretty large camp site. Then, when skip does happen, thar´ ya go. Just sayin´, let us have that spectrum, where every other government, or some other type of organized entity, seems to be abandoning that.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 2328 UTC »
Make it the international lot lizard band and watch things pick up. "Thees is Fatima in Ankara looking for lonely truckers for good time."

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 0059 UTC »
However, as you say it would be easily possible to operate mobile. You could pre-record your program and put it on the air while driving around. Good luck locating a broadcast from a moving vehicle.

As it turns out, way back in ancient history before many of you were born, someone was busted while operating HF mobile in motion. I don't have all the details and even if I did, I wouldn't repeat them without permission.

In any case, 11 meters (and 22 meters) would seem to be fertile ground.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 1139 UTC »
A few months ago there was some pirate activity on 11 meters, I recall hearing a relay of an FM station, possibly some other transmissions as well.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 1532 UTC »
As it turns out, way back in ancient history before many of you were born, someone was busted while operating HF mobile in motion. I don't have all the details and even if I did, I wouldn't repeat them without permission.

Found it: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,6490.0.html

In 1991 (I believe), a guy was relaying Voice of Laryngitis programs on 15050 kHz (I think) while driving through the Midwest. This was a clear freq that was occasionally used by pirates (in other words, he wasn't QRMing the USAF and this wasn't a primary pirate freq, like 6925 is now). But they set up a roadblock on I-70 and busted him near Denver.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 0157 UTC »
Back when propagation was better I'd occasionally hear CB savages playing piratical programming on the CB bands. Ditto 20m and 75-80m. Haven't heard that for awhile.

Beware... the CB band is fraught with peril. Avoid Candy Cane.

https://youtu.be/cuMnE4BliI4
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 0121 UTC »

Found it: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,6490.0.html

In 1991 (I believe), a guy was relaying Voice of Laryngitis programs on 15050 kHz (I think) while driving through the Midwest. This was a clear freq that was occasionally used by pirates (in other words, he wasn't QRMing the USAF and this wasn't a primary pirate freq, like 6925 is now). But they set up a roadblock on I-70 and busted him near Denver.

Oh, very good.

Most of the details agree with my recollection but I seem to remember it being several years before 1991 because of where I was and what I was doing when I heard about it, but I will leave the details up to Andrew.

In any case, it demonstrates the "long arms" they had in those days and that they can find you even if you are moving, if they really want to. They are likely too overstretched with priorities elsewhere these days though.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."