We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Why Are Some Automakers Ditching AM Radio? Because they suck!  (Read 681 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Yeah, my $0.02 worth right off the bat. If you think EV cars are bad, try diesel locomotives, or any metro rail vehicle that runs off of the 600VDC, 800A, third rail. Those blow away from DC to light of RFI. Oh yeah... Not just them, but ever hear why smart phones don't offer OTA AM, but just FM? Same deal, RFI spectrum-wide. BTW, as if EV didn't cost too much as it is, but if they were to implement RF filtering and shielding, that would just raise-up the cost of them even more so.  https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/headlines/why-are-some-automakers-ditching-am-radio
BTW, SWL'ing 1st lead me to this, so again, I ripped from them.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are Some Automakers Ditching AM Radio? Because they suck!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 1908 UTC »
It's been in the works for about half a decade.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns