We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: US FCC High Frequency Direction Finding Capability Center  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Per my comments about the police department in a Texas town plagued with interference, perhaps they are not "rolling the vans" to find local interference as much as they used to, but let's be clear that the US FCC retains HF direction finding capability, with reception sites in Maryland and remotely-operated sites in other parts of the country. Aspiring HF pirates need to be very clear-eyed that the FCC can, if they choose to, locate you to a region of the country (approximately +/- 100 miles, perhaps less) within seconds. (Finding your exact TX location down to the house level would take longer and likely require employing a mobile DF van.) The HF DF Center is not new; this capability has existed for decades.

https://www.fcc.gov/over-air-spectrum-observation-capabilities

Job posting for the Center to give you an idea of what they do:

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/665764100

Duties
The incumbent performs "watch duty" and serves as a technical authority providing technical assistance and guidance to communication systems users to resolve radio interference complaints and problems; and collects radio signal analysis information.  Uses radio signal analysis equipment deployed throughout the United States to collect, correlate, analyze, characteristics of radio signals involved in interference problems, distress or safety-related signals or other radio signals involved in other high priority activities such as law enforcement or national defense, to include HF, VHF, and UHF.   Collects radio signal analysis information; analyzes complaints, inquires, and comments from multiple sources; investigates compliances with the Commission's rules and regulations; and determines the appropriate actions utilizing FCC's remote high frequency network of radio direction finders and radio signal analysis equipment.  Develops definitive technical solutions concerning telecommunications system architectures, interoperability, expansion potential, and overall end-to-end compatibility and net centricity.  Interacts with public, licensees of various radio services, private industries, other government agencies, and representatives of foreign governments.  Represents the Bureau in meetings within and outside the agency.  Conducts formal and on-the-job training of co-workers, new recruits, clients, and USTTI participants.

Note that they seem to care most about cases of interference. My first recommendation to you is to not interfere with any legal transmissions. This should be obvious but it bears reinforcement.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 2332 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: US FCC High Frequency Direction Finding Capability Center
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 0857 UTC »
Trust me, they don't use vans, they use large US made SUV's with a driver up front and another agent in the back with an SDR attached to a horizontal antenna in the raised roof that covers the back of the SUV. I had a close encounter with one on a 4th of July weekend when a late former friend gave me up after I called him that morning and told him I'd be tx'ing from certain site that got out well his way, the rat.

Shut down if you notice any unusual vehicles w/ Fed plates. They can't do anything to you if you're not transmitting. If you're transmitting from home, shut down if they knock and tell them to move on. If your boneheaded enough to be ham, you're out of luck, they've got the right to inspect your station. (Tell them you've got Covid,that could keep them out.) If you're not a ham, they can't inspect your set up without your permission, they've really got no authority over you. They've got to have a warrant to get in. If they can't produce one, call the cops and have them charged with harassment and trespassing. In most jurisdictions pirate radio is a civil offense, right up there with jaywalking. They have to catch you in the actual act to charge you with anything.

What Judge is going to issue a warrant for something as trivial as pirate radio when real criminals come before him every day? The FCC aren't potential local voters, the suspected pirate is and so are their extended family and friends come election time. Does the judge want to coddle up to some guys from out of the county or risk ticking off local voters to look good to a couple of bootlickers from Laurel,MD.? He's going to side with the locals as long as it's not FM or MW.

I had friend who worked for the FAA in the Atlanta-Buffalo corridor tracking down RFI in the air bands. Did they get any help from the FCC tracking down "Fake Controllers" in the Buffalo region. No. These idiots pretended to be Air Traffic Controllers so they could talk to air crews. You think the FCC would be interested something like that, but they weren't. They showed up at the airport he worked from twice a year to do light and equipment inspection,that's the only time he saw them. He got to play with them again when a religious nut took up residence in an old trailer near the end of a runway at a local airport.He was running a FM station. They'd get a warrant, take his equipment , in a well publicized bust and inside of couple of months he'd be back on the air. The money came from his "flock". This went on for a year and half. Publicized bust, old coot back on the air. The FCC just showed up for the bust and the camera's. Nothing about the guy himself in any kind of follow up. Did he get fined? Maybe a token amount,there wasn't much to take judging by the trailer and his car. The FCC came for the bust and the publicity to make it look like they do something for your tax dollars. They're not your Grandad's Uncle Charlie.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 0354 UTC »
If your boneheaded enough to be ham, you're out of luck, they've got the right to inspect your station.

Incorrect, this is a commonly believed myth. Below is in fact one of the questions in the Basic amateur radio test in Canada (and I know I saw an article about this before regarding the FCC that showed the below applies in the USA as well, but I am not sure where I read that).

Which of the following statements is not correct?

Answer: D) A radio inspector may enter a dwelling without the consent of the occupant and without a warrant
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 0422 UTC by Shortwave_Listener »
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 0602 UTC »
Pigmeat is correct about the typical policies and practices in the US.

I'm only familiar with US regulatory agency policies and practices in general, having worked for federal gummint regulatory enforcement agencies years ago (not the FCC, and never any *law* enforcement agencies, which operate very differently from civil regulatory enforcement agencies). Federal budgets are tighter now than the period up to around 2000. Budgets were already being slashed back in the 1990s when I worked for the feds, and after years of pro-business/anti-regulatory GOP dominated administrations and legislatures, most federal civil regulatory agencies are weaker than ever. Mine, in particular, was a paper tiger. We depended heavily on the power of persuasion, but didn't resort to overt or implied threats or bluffs.

Generally speaking, US regulatory enforcement agencies depend on the cooperation of the persons, businesses or organizations being investigated. Without that voluntary cooperation, regulatory agencies usually must obtain a warrant through a federal magistrate to compel an investigation or inspection. Even then there have been instances when persons, businesses and organizations declined to cooperate with warrants until US Marshals appeared, and attorneys for both sides got involved. It's pretty rare for a regulatory enforcement agency to flex muscles or physically force themselves into a situation. This isn't like the federal criminal law enforcement agencies -- FBI, DEA, etc.

As some civil rights attorneys advise, it's usually not in your best interest to cooperate with such investigations or inspections beyond the absolute minimum required by law. And there may be certain complications in some states, counties and municipalities where local authorities have more clout than feds. Operating outside the "shortwave" HF spectrum may subject the broadcaster to such local and regional authorities, which makes FM, mediumwave, etc., a bit more tricky than the typical shortwave broadcaster.

As Pigmeat said, if you're not a US licensed amateur radio operator, you haven't agreed, by default, to comply with inspections of your station, etc. If you're not a ham, there's no reason to cooperate with FCC requests or implied demands to inspect your station. While it's difficult to remember under pressure, there's no reason to even discuss it, or say things like "Well, yeah, I have a transmitter, but it doesn't work or I'm not using it," etc. Just say nothing. Thanks for stopping by, but no thanks, see ya. Keep on protecting us from the "dangerous aliens", to quote Agent  K in Men In Black.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/1bb8135f-7418-4690-b05a-017efc5380a3#ChJjbkGT.copy

And don't interfere with local emergency agency comms, air traffic, etc., or authorized HF stations that are recognized as legitimate by the feds, notably the various utility stations. Find out where MARS, military field exercises, etc., operate, and avoid QRMing them. With online chats, email and SDRs it's easier than ever to get immediate notification from listeners of potential interference with official transmissions on unexpected frequencies and times.

No idea about Canada, other than articles on enforcement activities that indicate they have more enforcement authority in some areas, due to differences in Canadian constitutional philosophies.

Finally, and strictly in my opinion, the only likely scenario in which the FCC or other federal agency -- regulatory or criminal law -- is likely to compel the investigation of shortwave pirate radio is if the station broadcasts material considered seditious or inflammatory in a way that might be considered a public threat.

But considering the overtly anti-government and paranoid conspiracy theories that make up much of the content of licensed shortwave broadcasters in the US, and the eccentric behaviors of many hams, it would take quite a bit for the feds to worry about on air rants from low power pirates whose broadcasts can barely be heard with a typical portable radio. WWCR, WBCQ and its ilk built its base on borderline seditious and inflammatory polemics for decades. That was their bread and butter, in addition to apocalyptic evangelical hucksters and goldbugs, since the early 1990s. YouTube and Reddit contain far more of that stuff than radio ever did.

There are some YouTube channels run by, and catering to, a younger demographic of "survivalists," for lack of a better generic term, with emphasis on the potential use of radio for emergency communications in the event of a societal collapse. But those types have always been around. I knew some back in the 1970s when I was in the military. Every generation has yet another iteration of folks who anticipate a societal breakdown and the need for preparedness including radio. Hey, at least it keeps the craft going. If they never use it for anything other than LARPing, maybe they'll get bored with the survivalist games and use radio for creative pursuits. And the two aren't mutually exclusive. Even ninjas in the trenches need a little entertainment.

Until or unless we're ever under actual martial law, which doesn't mean temporary curfews, etc., we're unlikely to see FCC agents accompanied by fed SWAT teams busting down doors to confiscate gear and old cassette tapes and CDs of long-dead wannabe insurgent types.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 2136 UTC »
I think folks will find this entire page to be relevant, from the horse's (insert appropriate body part) itself:

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/guides/inspection-fact-sheet

Here are some very relevant sections:

Both licensees and non-licensees must allow an FCC Agent to inspect their radio equipment. Along with the privilege of possessing a license come responsibilities such as knowing the applicable rules, including allowing the station to be inspected. Licensees should be aware of the Commission's right to inspect. Equally important, FCC Agents are allowed to inspect the radio equipment of non-licensees. Non-licensees include those individuals or entities operating in accordance with Part 15 of the Rules. Non-licensees also include those who should have a license to operate their equipment but have not obtained a license and are operating without authority.

Q: Well then, if I am a low-power broadcaster and don't have an FCC license, they need a search warrant, right?

A: Wrong again. The FCC agents have the authority to inspect all radio equipment; even if you do not have a license, the FCC can still inspect your equipment. Section 303(n) of the Act gives the FCC the right to inspect all "stations required to be licensed." This language covers your low-power radio station. The FCC agents are inspecting the equipment, not searching your house.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 0113 UTC »
Fact sheets, brochures, field operations manuals, etc., are reflections of policy, not the actual Code of Federal Regulations. It's not at all unusual for fact sheets and FOMs used by agencies to deviate from the CFR. They often attempt to assert authority they do not actually possess. My agency's FOM often departed from the CFR, usually stopping short of contradicting the actual regulations. There's a lot of bluffing in federal regulatory enforcement. Don't help them by tipping your hand just because they bluff or call.

If the FCC actually has the authority to inspect "radio equipment" under any and all conditions, on private property, there's nothing to stop any regulatory agency from inspecting your home, without probable cause, warrant, etc., to be sure your non-existent sweatshop is operating within OSHA and Dept of Labor regs; that your non-existent recycling center is complying with EPA regs; etc.

Don't get me wrong -- I support reasonable federal regulations designed to protect people from actual harm, and to preserve the common resources in the environment. There's plenty of history to show how unregulated private industry and individuals have abused employees, wrecked waterways and slaughtered wildlife nearly to extinction.

But federal regulatory agencies enforcing civil regulations specified in the CFR do not possess special privileges to flout the Bill of Rights. And any attempts by the FCC to assert the authority to inspect an alleged radio station in a domicile or building where there are no licensed amateur radio operators should be peaceably opposed on ethical grounds. Let the courts sort out the facts.

This ain't the UK where, for decades, OFCOM used detection equipment and triangulation to locate homes with televisions and radio receivers to be sure they're paying taxes for the privilege of being an audience member.

If the FCC shows up asserting the right to inspect your home, place of business, vehicle, etc., for "radio equipment," and you are not a licensed amateur radio operator, ask to see the warrant. If they don't have one, politely thank them for their time, perhaps apologize that they made a trip for nothing, and bid them farewell. If they show up with federal marshals, warrant in hand or not (it's very unlikely marshals will accompany inspectors without a warrant), it's up to you whether to continue to assert your rights to privacy in your private property.

Beyond that, the usual next step is to appeal to the federal regional office and/or magistrate of the federal district court. I've attended some appeals (again, not FCC cases) at which the person cited chose to represent themselves, and sympathetic magistrates actually coached the appellant through the process. OTOH, there are other magistrates who lean the other way, toward heavyhanded enforcement, so it's a gamble to appear without legal counsel.

I think folks will find this entire page to be relevant, from the horse's (insert appropriate body part) itself:

Both licensees and non-licensees must allow an FCC Agent to inspect their radio equipment. Along with the privilege of possessing a license come responsibilities such as knowing the applicable rules, including allowing the station to be inspected. Licensees should be aware of the Commission's right to inspect. Equally important, FCC Agents are allowed to inspect the radio equipment of non-licensees. Non-licensees include those individuals or entities operating in accordance with Part 15 of the Rules. Non-licensees also include those who should have a license to operate their equipment but have not obtained a license and are operating without authority.

Q: Well then, if I am a low-power broadcaster and don't have an FCC license, they need a search warrant, right?

A: Wrong again. The FCC agents have the authority to inspect all radio equipment; even if you do not have a license, the FCC can still inspect your equipment. Section 303(n) of the Act gives the FCC the right to inspect all "stations required to be licensed." This language covers your low-power radio station. The FCC agents are inspecting the equipment, not searching your house.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 0428 UTC »
You raise a good point.

The US Constitution has guaranteed the freedom from unreasonable search and seizure in the Fourth Amendment. No federal agency can be above the Constitution, however, it would be up to the courts or legislation to decide what is "unreasonable". I would think that this has been adjudicated for Federal agencies not dealing with criminal matters, given that the Bill of Rights was ratified and adopted well over 220 years ago leaving plenty of time for someone, somewhere to bring a case before the courts that would decide if such an agency policy as "we can inspect your radio whenever we want" or legislation saying something to that effect  is unconstitutional.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 0247 UTC »
The FCC's long-range direction-finding network can pinpoint you a lot closer than "+ or minus 100 miles"--

more like plus or minus 5 miles, if it is all working....!

(within 100 miles might have been accurate in the 1980s, when I myself was tracked to having possibly been in the wrong state-- but the technology here has been improved, as with everything else)

Of course 5 miles does not pinpoint a pirate location, but that is where  the mobile units step in---
the trick for them is to be pre-positioned before the station again comes on the air, and have enough time to pinpoint it at close range...

(their most difficult problem is to be pre-positioned, or "choose" to have any units 'pre-positioned'--   they can't bust you from 100 or 200 or 600 miles away...)

From a shortwave pirate's perspective, your difficulty is to not attract their particular attention, and most importantly, to not become "predictable".
I happened to fail that test, just because I loved to broadcast so much-- lol

(when my shortwave pirate 'The Crystal Ship' was first busted in 2011, it seemed that the agents were pounding on the door within about 5 minutes of the transmitter being turned on  ((although in my specific case, they may have been aided by 'rumored reports' of an actual address-- but the FCC does not operate on 'rumors' without actual technical targeting confirmations)).   

One way or another, they had been standing by very close to my residence...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 0256 UTC »
Fact sheets, brochures, field operations manuals, etc., are reflections of policy, not the actual Code of Federal Regulations. It's not at all unusual for fact sheets and FOMs used by agencies to deviate from the CFR. They often attempt to assert authority they do not actually possess. My agency's FOM often departed from the CFR, usually stopping short of contradicting the actual regulations. There's a lot of bluffing in federal regulatory enforcement. Don't help them by tipping your hand just because they bluff or call.

If the FCC actually has the authority to inspect "radio equipment" under any and all conditions, on private property, there's nothing to stop any regulatory agency from inspecting your home, without probable cause, warrant, etc., to be sure your non-existent sweatshop is operating within OSHA and Dept of Labor regs; that your non-existent recycling center is complying with EPA regs; etc.

Don't get me wrong -- I support reasonable federal regulations designed to protect people from actual harm, and to preserve the common resources in the environment. There's plenty of history to show how unregulated private industry and individuals have abused employees, wrecked waterways and slaughtered wildlife nearly to extinction.

But federal regulatory agencies enforcing civil regulations specified in the CFR do not possess special privileges to flout the Bill of Rights. And any attempts by the FCC to assert the authority to inspect an alleged radio station in a domicile or building where there are no licensed amateur radio operators should be peaceably opposed on ethical grounds. Let the courts sort out the facts.

This ain't the UK where, for decades, OFCOM used detection equipment and triangulation to locate homes with televisions and radio receivers to be sure they're paying taxes for the privilege of being an audience member.

If the FCC shows up asserting the right to inspect your home, place of business, vehicle, etc., for "radio equipment," and you are not a licensed amateur radio operator, ask to see the warrant. If they don't have one, politely thank them for their time, perhaps apologize that they made a trip for nothing, and bid them farewell. If they show up with federal marshals, warrant in hand or not (it's very unlikely marshals will accompany inspectors without a warrant), it's up to you whether to continue to assert your rights to privacy in your private property.

Beyond that, the usual next step is to appeal to the federal regional office and/or magistrate of the federal district court. I've attended some appeals (again, not FCC cases) at which the person cited chose to represent themselves, and sympathetic magistrates actually coached the appellant through the process. OTOH, there are other magistrates who lean the other way, toward heavyhanded enforcement, so it's a gamble to appear without legal counsel.

HERE'S THE DEAL-----

They may have the "legal authority" to enter your residence and inspect your equipment under all those different scenarios----

HOWEVER----   unless they are backed with GUNS and FORCE, you can prevent them from entering your residence, with your verbal refusal!

(The legal issues are a matter to be adjudicated by courts, at a later date!)

I speak as someone who has been 'allegedly' busted by the FCC--
I denied the supposed 'crime', and would not allow any inspection of my alleged 'equipment'-
and the FCC agent was alone... so he delivered his 'verbal warning', and went away.

The word 'authority' has no meaning unless it is backed up by lethal force....

(Now, in the case of US licensed ham operators, YES, they can later take away your license for your refusal to permit 'inspection' of your station--
but with that understanding, you STILL don't have to let them 'inspect' you,
unless they employ lethal force which you cannot resist...)

(FCC Agents are only "bureaucrats"--- they are NOT 'law enforcement officers'--   they can't arrest you for supposed crimes, and are most likely not armed-- they only attempt to persuade you to incriminate yourself!!)

Of course, if they were to arrive accompanied by Federal Marshals or local law enforcement, that is another matter entirely--
but is almost entirely NEVER the case...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 0301 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 0140 UTC »
What happens if they get a call from wascally wabbit who tells them where you're going to be before you go on the air? That happened to me once.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns