We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New $69 laptop good for Ham (or solar Part15  (Read 2128 times)

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
New $69 laptop good for Ham (or solar Part15
« on: July 25, 2022, 1708 UTC »
In this video this guy explains why this cheap laptop is good for Ham radio and a good alternative to a rasgberry pi....

Cheap $60 laptop Actually Good for Ham Radio
https://youtu.be/7TM0VSra-b8

There's a couple other videos praising this as good for hams to. I'm not really familiar with all that but I'll tell you what interest me about this budget laptop.. I'm moving my transmitter to my sailboat again. This laptop runs and will charge with a direct 12v connection, it comes with Windows 10 Educational Pro installed but you can install Windows 7 (better for using Zara) or Linux if you want. it's not fast but it's very efficient on power draw, which is important when running solar power. One commenter said it was drawing only 5watts, but I doubt that's right,, From it's internal battery it can run up to 9 hours on a charge (again I doubt that claim, nevertheless the claim is draws a fraction of the energy a more powerful PC would.. And of course it's very cheap. But you apparently can't get it for $60 anymore, now it's closer to $100 (free shipping Amazon, Walmart, Ebay) Still a bargain.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New $69 laptop good for Ham (or solar Part15
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 1816 UTC »
Nothing new under the sun.  I had an old net-top laptop about a decade ago I bought for the same purpose.  It wound up being a surfing laptop for the garage and the tub.
I'm sure it's arm based to run that low on the consumption end, so don't expect a speed demon.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 1827 UTC »
Well, it is a decade later. The best thing that I did to this 2007 13" MacBook was to swap out the HDD to a 180GB SSD, then load-up Ubuntu Linux OS. I'm using it now. So, for $70.00, I'd buy a couple, keep WIN OS on one, and load-up Ubuntu OS on the other, and try them. An Acer One netbook, from 2009, runs Zara Radio automation fine, so this would be neat, plus the 12VDC direct charge. Thanks for the info!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 1851 UTC »
I havent ordered one just yet but I may before the day is out. The major factor to me is that it is not a speed demon! Right now I'm using a Dell studio laptop and it's not uncommon to see it pulling like 50 to 80watts! Way too much for 24/7 use.

Seems to me this 12v laptop would be ideal to run automation 24 hours a day powered by my Yeti 1250 and a couple 100watt panels, and I'd still have ample juice for my TV, lights and fans.

The biggest fans of this cheap laptop looks to be the Rasberry Pi users, I see several people saying they bought three or four of these. Evidently their cheaper than the Rasberrys, but it's not clear to me why these are a good alternative T I've for that.

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 2251 UTC »
I'm sure it's arm based to run that low on the consumption end, so don't expect a speed demon.
+-RH

Not arm based, it comes pre-installed with a full uncrippled Windows 10

Evolve III Maestro E-Book 11.6" Laptop (64GB, 4GB RAM, Wi-Fi+ 4G LTE) Intel Celeron N3450 1.1GHz Processor; 4GB LPDDR4-2133 RAM; 64GB ROM Data Storage; Intel HD Graphics 500
Intel Celeron N3450 1.1GHz Processor
4GB LPDDR4-2133 RAM
64GB ROM Data Storage
Intel HD Graphics 500
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Education
microSD Card Reader
Wi-Fi 5 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0
LTE Capable
11.6" HD Display

The cheapest I found now is at Walmart for $108 with free shipping
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evolve-III-Maestro-E-Book-11-6-Laptop-64GB-4GB-RAM-Wi-Fi-4G-LTE-Intel-Celeron-N3450-1-1GHz-Processor-LPDDR4-2133-RAM-64GB-ROM-Data-Storage-HD-Graphic/7946868
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 2304 UTC by tybee »

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 2329 UTC »
Amazon has it for only $85 and 6.99 shipping  I just ordered one. There's now only 12 more left from that seller but other sellers asking more.. I would offer a direct link but it's in my app and don't see how to copy it

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 0006 UTC »
I got one of these.  It was a bad experience.  First, the operating system is Windows 10 Pro/S.  I think the "S" means Student or Store.  There is no way out of the S mode as installed on the Maestro Evolve III.  You are limited to applications only in the Microsoft Store.   One has to have a Microsoft Account to access the store.  I checked the Microsoft Store and immediately had a "phishing" attack.   This was after I did a complete factory reset of the unit.  After the attack, I noticed the Microsoft Store keep asking for passwords and other personal information even for free applications.  I have sent the one I got back for a refund.

If you are thinking about getting one of these then please plan to either do a complete Linux install with no original winodws or do a complete new installation of Windows 10 over the existing Windows.  The supplied operating system has problems and there is no way to get out the S mode.   I hope this helps someone.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 0323 UTC »
It is an Windows 10 Educational install, however Ive experienced no limitations as compared to a standard install as of yet. Your incorrect that your limited to programs from the Microsoft store, the first thing I did was to install Zara Radio which I downloaded from the Zara site.

I'm still considering putting XP on it as a dedicated Zara automation machine, but it seems to run fine as is, so maybe I wont.

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 2347 UTC »
If one reads the Microsoft description of the Windows 10 Pro/S Education version, it clearly stated that it is limited to applications from Microsoft Store. This is done to ensure the students do not download the wrong thing (e.g.  virus in a game).  I could not download something as safe as Notepad ++.  You must know some trick to unlock the system.  Microsoft is clear that downloads are limited.  I glad your unit works, because, mine did not. 

I hope it works well for you.  I still think for the hardware, one would be better off with the ham radio Linux version.  Where are you getting a properly licensed version of XP?   Microsoft requires a new license when installing their software on a new machine.  Please take care in these strange times.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 0013 UTC by JustGreg »
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 1606 UTC »
I don't know no tricks Greg, I just opened the box and turned it on. During the Win10 setup I did have to go thru setting up a Microsoft email, but I don't think I ever even entered the Microsoft store.. The very next thing I did was download and install Zara Radio, next I downloaded and installed Chrome both via a Google search, same as I would on any computer.

I just looked in my settings and it shows "Windows 10 Pro Education" version 2004 as the OP

As for XP, years ago I created a stripped down streamlined version of XP using "nlite", which I still have a copy of and am considering putting it on this because it would run smoother and faster.

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 2213 UTC »
I am glad that everything work well for you, tybee.  In my case, there were several problems.  Just be careful using XP, there may still be some security faults that have not been fixed.  Older operating system usually collect the attention of scammers and the phishing people.  Please take care in these strange times.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com