KiwiSDRs run by HFU Members
- Wake Forest, NC USA http://chimay.homelinux.org:8073
- Westminster, MD USA http://sdr.hfunderpants.com:8073
- CT/MA Border, Northeast USA http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073
- Mojave Desert, CA USA http://tokenradio.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/
- Westerville, OH USA http://ohioswl.com:8073
- Old Hickory, TN USA http://midtn.dynu.net:8073
- Warwick, RI USA http://joeflips.hopto.org:8073/
Set Static IP Address
You may want to set the IP address of your KiwiSDR statically, rather than a dynamic DCHP address obtained from your router. Go to the Network tab on the KiwiSDR admin page to do this.
The antenna that comes with the KiwiSDR works, but can be marginal, especially when used indoors. I bought this antenna from Amazon, and it seems to work better. I also found that it helps tremendously to have the antenna sitting on a metal ground plane. A simple small aluminum baking sheet works great. I carefully adjusted the location of the antenna on the sheet, as well as the location of both (they are sitting on a shelf) for maximum signal(s) from the GPS satellites.
I just replace the pan with a sheet of aluminum foil, and that seems to work even better.
An all aluminum case is available from Seeed Studios that includes a small cooling fan.
DX Labels can be added to help users quickly identify and choose frequencies, automatically set passband, mode, and extension, etc. Users can click on a label and the receiver will be set to the parameters you choose. Only administrators can add or make changes to labels.
To add, edit, or modify labels:
Press and hold the shift key and then click on the label bar to add a new label. To modify or delete an existing label, press and hold the shift key and click on the label you wish to change.
- The Freq and Mode fields are taken from the receiver's settings when you add a new label. These can be edited if desired.
- The Ident field is the text that is shown on the DX label bar. HTML tags (e.g. <br> to make two lines of text) can be used to make labels more readable if desired.
- The Notes field allows for additional information to be displayed by hovering the mouse over the label (such as day or time station is active).
- The Passband field can be set by specifying it in Hz.
- The Extension field can be set my specifying an available extension