We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Requiem for Radio WRMI 11580 am/ WBCQ 5130 am 2300 UTC 27 May 2017 new  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Excellent reception.....on the '36 Zenith Console 8S154, sounds like a concert hall

2300z Requiem for Radio....An Homage to the Sackville Towers.  In a twist, it started with WBCQ & Shortwaveservice trying to contact RCI under the music, don't recall that the last two nights..  A significant amount of choral singing tonight.

http://www.amandadawnchristie.ca/requiem-for-radio/
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Getting it well on 11580. There are reports that it's being relayed at 6850 USB as well.

video of reception: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_OpnUEVvzU
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 0044 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's supposed to be, out of Boston. But Chris posted he has only a carrier.  I'm far closer and receiving nothing here.  It is also on a European Pirate on both 9620 and 9690.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 2330 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
 It is also on a European Pirate on both 9620 and 9690.

9690 is a European pirate?

I have 9690 here at S9+. I can't remember the last time I had a European pirate here and never at a solid S9+.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email

My understanding is that it is Shortwaveservice from Germany.

http://swling.com/blog/2017/05/requiem-for-radio-shortwave-schedule/

Offline staticlistener

• south central PA
    • View Profile
Tonight was the only night all 5 stations were on together, Thursday and Friday were just WBCQ, RMI, and the two Shortwaveservice transmitters. I believe Media Broadcast is the company that actually owns the transmitters that Shortwaveservice used, 9690 was Nauen, Germany (former Radio Berlin International transmitter site) and 9620 was Moosbrunn, Austria (former Radio Osterreich? transmitter site). The part with BCQ and Shortwaveservice calling RCI was on all three nights, but it was so buried in the mix that you could barely pull it out, especially with the static crashes I had here and the fact I had multiple receives going to be able to hear all the different parts.
Shelby Brant
Harrisonville, PA
Icom 718, EAC R-390A
60 ft. endfed wire

Offline prldx

• View Profile
Hi !

I believe Media Broadcast is the company that actually owns the transmitters that Shortwaveservice used, 9690 was Nauen, Germany (former Radio Berlin International transmitter site) and 9620 was Moosbrunn, Austria (former Radio Osterreich? transmitter site).

Moosbrunn is owned by the ORS (=Oestereichische Rundfunksender GmbH & Co KG) and not by Media Broadcast.
There´s still 80 minutes of ORF Radio Oesterreich 1 left on 6155 kHz (0500-0620 UTC) via Moosbrunn as a legal requirement for selling airtime to foreign customers.

Patrick
Rx: AR7030 / Perseus
Ant: MK-1

"Radio was an exciting new invention that made it possible to hear other people´s voices in your living room without the use of thin walls or a devastating mental condition" (Cunk on Britain Ep 4)

Offline staticlistener

• south central PA
    • View Profile
Hi !

I believe Media Broadcast is the company that actually owns the transmitters that Shortwaveservice used, 9690 was Nauen, Germany (former Radio Berlin International transmitter site) and 9620 was Moosbrunn, Austria (former Radio Osterreich? transmitter site).

Moosbrunn is owned by the ORS (=Oestereichische Rundfunksender GmbH & Co KG) and not by Media Broadcast.
There´s still 80 minutes of ORF Radio Oesterreich 1 left on 6155 kHz (0500-0620 UTC) via Moosbrunn as a legal requirement for selling airtime to foreign customers.

Patrick

Ok, at one time I had looked at a schedule on their website that listed all the programs and frequencies they said they broadcasted through their facilities and Moosbrunn was one of the transmitter sites, so I assumed they must've owned that one. So do they just own the Nauen site then act as a broker for airtime on other stations for what they don't have the capacity for? And one more question, what exactly is Shortwaveservice? The way I understand is they have their own 1 kilowatt site at Kall, but on their website it sounds like they also transmit programming from Nauen, Moosbrunn, and I believe one other side, maybe Sofia? The European HF broadcasting scene is a little confusing to someone on the outside, especially here in the states where most of the stations sell airtime directly to customers themselves and really don't contract out to reach other for transmission capacity.
Shelby Brant
Harrisonville, PA
Icom 718, EAC R-390A
60 ft. endfed wire

Offline prldx

• View Profile
So do they just own the Nauen site then act as a broker for airtime on other stations for what they don't have the capacity for?
Yes, or if another site would be better to reach a atrget area.

And one more question, what exactly is Shortwaveservice? The way I understand is they have their own 1 kilowatt site at Kall, but on their website it sounds like they also transmit programming from Nauen, Moosbrunn, and I believe one other side,
Shortwaveservice:
  * operates low power transmitters in Kall on 3985 / 6005 / 6085 / 7310 kHz
  * brokering airtime mostly via own transmitters, Bulgaria and some CIS sites
  * producing a monthly media magazine in German language broadcasted via Nauen, own transmitters and sometimes also via other sites

Patrick

Rx: AR7030 / Perseus
Ant: MK-1

"Radio was an exciting new invention that made it possible to hear other people´s voices in your living room without the use of thin walls or a devastating mental condition" (Cunk on Britain Ep 4)