We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Toynbee Radio 6925 USB  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Toynbee Radio 6925 USB
« on: September 20, 2008, 0955 UTC »
One of the more esoteric pirate radio shows since the July 2008 "Hello, Itasca" tribute to Amelia Earhart.  Brilliantly obscure, a mystery that was a true pleasure to investigate, and ironically as unfathomable as the mysterious Toynbee Tiles from which the radio show was derived.  A multi-layered pop-culture, anthropological riddle.  Thanks, Toynbee Radio, whoever you are!

This little oddity occurred between approx. 0110-0135 UTC, 9/20/08 (8:10-8:35 p.m. Central, Friday night, US). It was sandwiched between at least two other stations: the first, the tail end of a show featuring Alan Parsons Project and Journey music; the second, featuring Meatloaf, Steely Dan and Steppenwolf (I heard only part of Meatloaf, very faintly).

A man, reciting in a monotone voice, with several ID's as "Toynbee Radio", was quoting from the infamous Toynbee Tiles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toynbee_tiles), with long pauses of several moments between each recitation:

"YOU MUST MAKE AND GLUE TILES!!! YOU!!! AS THE AMERICAN MEDIA IS WORKING WITH THE SOVIET UNION AND ITS THOUSANDS OF FRONTS IN USA..."

"ONLY BY DESTRUCTION OF THE MEDIA CAN THIS MOVEMENT SURVIVE". (Toynbee Radio ID)

(Toynbee Radio ID) "EVERY CONCEPT OF PAST 500 YEARS DONT EXIST IN CHRISTIAN HEAVEN THEY ONLY EXIST IN CHRISTIAN HELL". NOW THE "CULT OF THE HELLION" ARE NOW SEARCHING FOR MORE THAN ONE HELL ... TO GET MORE REWARD.

(Toynbee Radio ID) I'M ONLY ONE MAN AND WHEN I CAUGHT A FATAL DISEASE THEY GLOATED OVER ITS DEATH. THAT'S WHEN I BEGGED THEM NOT TO DESTROY IT. THANK YOU AND GOODBYE. (Toynbee Radio ID)

Other parts of the program were unintelligible due to only moderate signal strength and heavy static crashes. However, it sounded like there were several references to the FRN, confirmed by other listeners on logs recorded for this time slot. I'm unable to decipher what those references were.

(Note: ignore file name for audio clip - I mislabeled it, too lazy to rename it) http://www.mediafire.com/?3mmmluoimnj

For the curious, the 15 minute, 46 second audio clip contains the following:
00:00-06:55: Two songs by Journey.
06:58: Part of Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" audible.
07:14: Monotone man's voice mumbling "Toynbee Radio", continues speaking intermittently during Meatloaf song...
09:18: "Toynbee Radio" voice ID, followed by recitation of various Toynbee tiles, music no longer audible.
14:27: Cat screeching with echo effects. (I accidentally paused the recording at this point, but the cat sounds went on a bit longer.)
14:43: Man's voice again, less intelligible, several mentions of "Toynbee" and "FRN".

(N. Central TX - Palstar R30C, 25' outdoor random magnet wire up a tree.)
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)