We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Shortwave Logs From Alaska!  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shortwave Logs From Alaska!
« on: May 30, 2016, 0842 UTC »
I am in rural central Alaska, 300 miles west of Fairbanks and 300 miles east of Nome, using a Tecsun PL880 and  80 foot or 225 foot long wire.

3260 Papua New Guinea, NBC Radio Mandang 1033 to 1036 May 22. 3260 is almost always barely above the noise floor to poor, but tonight it was listenable. A fair signal with a man talking in local tounge., Light fading and almost no interference., (Walker-AK)

3325 Papua New Guinea, NBC Radio Bouganville. 1027 to 1033 May 22. NBC is usually in here just about nightly on 3325 but it ranges from barely above the noise floor to fair. It is rarely anywhere past the highside of fair. But tonight they were loud, strong and steady with good audio, almost no fading and no interference. Id rate the signal a 4 1/2 out of 5. Michael Jackson's "Man In The Mirror" followed by a local song that soundhound couldn't identify (Walker-AK)

4750, Indonesia, Radio Republik Indonesia Makassar. 1040 to 1045 May 22nd. Some light interference from another station, fair signal with moderate fading. Good audio with local/regional music (Walker-AK)

4870, Indonesia, Radio Republik Indonesia Wamena 1046 to 1050 May 22nd. Sounds like pop music being played, unsure if it's english or another language. There's enough fading to make the signal listenable but kill any understanding of it as it's only a fair signal. Announcer comes on to talk between songs in their local language.,  (Walker-AK)

5020 Solomon Islands, SIBC 1056 to 1110 May 22. Fairly good signal, about a 3 1/2 out of 5 overall, with some light fading but good audio and modulation. Christian music followed by english news broadcast. (Walker-AK)

5020 Solomon Islands SIBC 1148 to 1201.May 22 Good audio with some light fading and no interference for the most part. Christian music, followed by a devotional message then the SIBC sign off announcement followed by the Solomon Islands national anthem. After the anthem plays but before they cut the carrier, I hear what sounds like some kind of two way communications between people.. it is very clear and clean.(Walker-AK)

6090 Shiokaze Sea Breeze. 1628 to 1635 May 5th. Very pleasant sounding female announcer giving contact information for the radio station and talking about the Shiokaze Sea Breeze/Comjan mission. When they aren't jammed, like they aren't on this signal... the signal is good, clean, clear with good modulation. (Walker-AK)

6180 Brazil, Radio Nacional De Brasilia.0448 to 0453 May 23. Fair to good signal, no interference and only light fading, Man talking in portugese. (Walker-AK)

7260, Vanuatu  Radio Vanuatu 0923 to 0930 May 14. About a 2 1/2  out of 5 overall across the board. Fading, somewhat low modulation which renders Vanuatu hard to hear as they run alot of talk programming but I've caught them playing music tonight and this is about the best I've ever been able to hear them and it's still fairly rough copy!. (Walker-AK)

7325 Papua New Guinea, Wantok Radio Light. 0904 to 0904 May 14. A broadcast of NBC National News. Pretty clear signal, some fading but thankfully, no interference. Very clear and easy to understand. (Walker-AK)

9470, unknown, Furusato No Kaze. 1622 to 1631. April 25. Good signal with music, good audio and modulation. Very very little fading and no interference.

9526 Indonesia, Voice of Indonesia 1649 to 1656 May 17th. Pretty clear signal, with only a bit of fading that's barely noticeable. About a 3 1/2 out of 5 overall. This is another station that is habitually undermodulated, especially on speech which makes them hard to listen to sometimes, but they are playing music and combine that with good conditions and they are pretty listenable.

9545 Solomon Islands SIBC. 0721 to 0748 April 25 Absolutely stellar, fantastic signal and audio from Honiara, Solomon Islands. No fading, no interference and strong, steady signal! SIBC is on late with their 10kw 9545khz broadcast, it is supposed to sign off at 500UTC but is on over 2 hours later then scheduled. Listening to two men in accented english holding a discussion, one man having something to do with the police department. Then the discussion ends and some english music begins to play. First song to play after the interview is "Nothing Is Going To Stop Us Now" by Starship/ A female announcer then reads off the SIBC program schedule, including the flight schedule and another interview coming up. After that she plays another song, "Nothing Changes" by One Direction. Whenever 9545 is on late, it always seems stronger then whatever 5020khz could be when on at the same time. (Walker-AK)

9545 Solomon Islands, SIBC, 0923 to 0946 May 1. Not quite as good as the above SIBC Reception from April 25th but still pretty good. Christian music is being played back to back.

9640 Korea, KBS World Radio 1652 to 1654, May 28th somewhat weak but steady signal with a fair amount of fading. The audio was good and well above the noise, so easy to understand the 2 females talking and reading listeners DX reports/QSL requests (Walker-AK)

9650, Guinea, Radio Guiena, 0054 to 0105 April 15th. A mystery when it was first logged as nothing in the Eibi schedule fit. After a day or two, we determined this was Radio Guinea re-activated and I was one of the first to report it. I have not heard it since! Fair to good signal with light to moderate fading and only light interference. Modulation is a bit poor with local music being played (Walker-AK)

9665 China, Firedrake, 1707 to 1710 May 28. Your typical Chinese Firedrake, strong signal, good audio and no fading. These are actually somewhat enjoyable to listen to.. I wish wished the QSDL'ed!!! Several weeks ago I heard a Firedrake on 10005khz but it wasn't jamming anything, it went off in "mid song" and I've never heard it there again! (Walker-AK)

9730, Vietnam Voice of Vietnam via Hanoi. 1845 to 1847 May 21. Very very weak, barely above the noise floor. Heard a song playing then a male and a female talking. Most likely a news broadcast (Walker-AK)

9805 Korea, KBS World Radio 1655 to 1658 May 28 , same broadcast as the 9640 signal not quite as much fading as 9805 but the audio wasn't as loud. However, the audio was good and well above the noise, so easy to understand the 2 females talking and reading listeners DX reports/QSL requests (Walker-AK)

9835, Malaysia, RTM Malaysia, Sarawak FM 1701 to 1704 April 6. Pretty rough signal. Fair to the low side of good but moderate fading and lots of interference with local music being played (Walker-AK)

9870, India All India Radio Vividh Bharati Service. 1701 to 1704 May 5th. LOUD signal with GOOD audio and pretty decent modulation. Local music followd by female talkiung. (Walker-AK)

9910, Philippines, Radyo Pilipinas. 1850 to 1853 May 21 Weak but steady signal, a fair amount if fading with interference from something or someone.Sounds like a male and female talking but unsure what they are talking about. (Walker-AK)

11600, Taiwan, Radio Taiwan International 1123 to 1125 May 22nd. English broadcast with woman interviewing a man. Kinda echoy audio, onmly light fading. Low side of good for signal. (walker-AK)

11665, Malaysia, RTM Maylaysia Sarawak FM. 1711 to 1735. A pretty good signal, about a 3 1/2 to 4 out of 5. Clean, clear, good audio with no interference and only light fading. Music followed by talk between two males in local language. (Walker-AK)

11735 Zanzibar, Zanzibar Broadcasting Corporation 1652 to 1815 April 18th. This one really surprises me as it is in here just about every day, sometimes poor and barely listenable but often, at least fair but today it is GOOD. Woman talking, a discussion maybe an interview? Hear a mention of Sri Lanka. More talk through out the broadcast. I wasn't at the radio for a large portion of this, but ZBC is often playing music as well. (Walker-AK)

11985 Taiwan, Radio Taiwan International 1033 to 1036UTC May 22nd. Sounds like a man and woman talking in.. russian? Rock solid, steady, clear, non fading signal. If you didn't see the radio dial, you'd think this was a local AM station. (Walker-AK)

11995, France Radio France International. 1909-1912 May 21.  A somewhat weak, slightly muffled by conditions or interference, but easy to understand man in french calling what sounds like it could be a soccer game.. It sounds like some kind of sports match. (Walker-AK)

12005 Germany, Radio Farda 1707 to 1711, May 5. Fair to good signal with some fading, American pop tune followed by announcer talk in persian. (Walker-AK)

12015 China Radio International & Voice of Korea, 1713 to 1716, May 28th. Heard both stations at once and this isn't the first time. Female talking about school and grades is CRI and the "march" music is Voice of Korea. When either one has dead air you can hear the other broadcaster in the clear. Both signals are fair and not any fading at all. (Walker-AK)

12019 Vietnam, Voice of Vietnam via Hanoi. English news broadcast, talking about elections. And yes, it is on 12019 and not 12020 as some sites have listed. Not very loudly modulated but clear, decent audio. A little fading but no interference. When putting radio into LSB and USB and tuning up to 12020khz, the signal is gone. (Walker-AK) 

12060 Unknown, Radio Lead Africa, 0511 to 0513UTC May 28. Weak signal with a fair amount of fading but understandable. Man talking making several mentions of Africa and mentions Channel Africa (Walker-AK)

12120 Philippines, Radyo Pilipinas. 1912 to 1915 May 21. About as weak as the 9910 entry above but not quite as much fading and no interference. Female talking in local language. (Walker--AK)

15120, Nigeria, Voice Of Nigeria. 1020 to 1024. Pretty weak signal, lots of noise and interference with talk in french. (Walker-AK)

15235, South Africa, Channel Africa. 1637 to 1644. April 6. Talk in french and several mentions of Channel Africa. Fair signal with some light to moderate fading. (Walker-AK)

15555 USB, Florida, WJHR. 1709 to 1815 April 29. Fair signal and yes they broadcast in USB but their audio is muddy and distorted and gets worse over the hour I am recording a preacher in english. Fair amount of fading/interference. (Walker-AK)

15580 Botswana, VOA, 1718 to 1721, May 28th. Pretty decent signal, without much fading, very good audio. It was several men in a news/political discussion called "Issues In The News". (Walker-AK)

17720 Unknown BBC World Service 0855 to 0859, men talking in Dari language. Low side of Fair signal, but steady and listenable with some light fading.(Walker-AK)

Interesting to note, I have logged The Voice Of Korea/KCBS Pyongyang on over a dozen of their frequencies 2850khz, 3250khz, 3320khz, 6100khz, 6170khz, 6400khz, 7220khz, 7580khz, 9425khz, 9445khz, 9650khz, 9665khz, 9730khz, 9875khz, 7220khz, 11910khz, 11935khz, 11735khz, 13760khz, 13650khz, 15105khz, 15180khz, 15245khz. I can normally hear Voice Of Korea almost all day everyday at some level and at night, several of their frequencies are like a local here.

I have audio clips of all of the logs I've posted here. If you'd like to hear them, most are posted on Youtube, some are posted on soundcloud.com. https://www.youtube.com/user/OnAirDJPaulWalker
https://soundcloud.com/onairdjpaulwalker
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Shortwave Logs From Alaska!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 1312 UTC »
If I can get up early enough for some morning grey line dx'ing, I can get VOK on some of their beams that aren't aimed at the Americas, and KCBS Pyongyang too.

Nice log. Welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 1346 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 1532 UTC »
If I can get up early enough for some morning grey line dx'ing, I can get VOK on some of their beams that aren't aimed at the Americas, and KCBS Pyongyang too.

Nice log. Welcome aboard.

I hear some of their "local" signals when I get up early, like the lower powered tropical band signals, and for instance, i heard a broadcast the other night beamed to the middle east.
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 2232 UTC »
I have only about 3 or 4 KCBS/Voice Of Korea frequencies I haven't logged, I think.
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com