We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: About Last Night...  (Read 2180 times)

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
About Last Night...
« on: March 10, 2013, 1443 UTC »
10Mar13 was a busy evening and overnight, and thanks to all ops and relays.  I thought I'd share a snapshot of some of the activity heard here on 6925USB.  This was capped at 1356UTC.

Starting from the right is the TCS "R&R Art Show" followed by the TCS "Unchained" show.  Next up is the UNID music station heard at 0511, and PPVR is the little blip on the hill.  A lot of listeners (myself included) were disappointed by the high noise levels last night resulting from storms in the TX-OK area.  I don't know when these storms dissipated, but it's pretty evident that the noise floor here dropped dramatically after PPVR went off.

Finally, the early morning shows from Boom Box and Radio Ga-Ga come on.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: About Last Night...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 1620 UTC »
Hey, that is an awesome graph!

So it shows the 6930 signals also? How wide of a chunk of RF is it measuring the signal strength over?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 1622 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 1736 UTC »
Oops!  Yes, those are the 6930 shows.  I started the overnight on 6925 after the TCS Unchained Show, so I probably retuned the SDR about then.  Regrettably, the chart - although the span can be varied from 1 min to 12 hours - only uses Seconds on the horizontal axis.  A UTC time scaling would be a dream, but I am not complaining.  The Strength History window in this app is simply one of its most useful features.

I generally leave the USB BW at 2200-2400 Hz for overnight recording.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 1740 UTC by jFarley »
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 1909 UTC »
Oops!  Yes, those are the 6930 shows.  I started the overnight on 6925 after the TCS Unchained Show, so I probably retuned the SDR about then. 

There is a higher signal period about when BBR would have been on - was the SDR returned to 6925 before then (1044z) or was it still on 6930? (If the latter I guess it was getting some signal from BBR on 6925 AM)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 1918 UTC »
Very nice graph jFarley, thanks for sharing this.  Was this generated using SDR Console?  I've created similar graphs using SDR Console (V2) which does show time in UTC hours, but for some reason the time is off by x amount of hours.  The Data File Analyzer is an amazing tool in SDR Console V2.  I'm still playing with it here and learning all the functions.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 1934 UTC »
Yes, this is right out of SDR Console.  I've picked and poked thru the settings, and haven't found a way to set the H scale units.  That's not to say that I haven't missed something.  I just stuck up a post-it to remind me to look in the settings again.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT