We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Using imgur for posting images  (Read 867 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Using imgur for posting images
« on: December 18, 2022, 1915 UTC »
I've never had any problems with imgur and the storage capacity seems to have no limits.
First things first...a note about downloading images from emails, sstv's, etc. I always save them to desktop first. This allows for easier (in my opinion) access by imgur to locate a file. After I'm done posting the image, then I go back and move the file to it's respective folder.
So you've logged in to your imgur account (It's Free!) and it looks like this:

Click on the "Add images" (See the red arrow), and then it looks like this next:

Click on "Browse" (See the red arrow) and navigate to "Desktop", and then it looks like this next:

Click on "Desktop" (See the red arrow) and select the item you want to add to imgur. Then it will look like this next:

Click on the added image (See the red arrow) and then it will look like this next:

Click on "Linked BBCode" (See the red arrow) and then your image is ready to paste in a posting or chat room.

A note on the size of the pasted image: Before you select "Add Image", click on the drop down box in imgur that looks like this:

Click on the option for "640x480(message boards)". This seems to fit well on the HFU posts.

I hope this is of some help!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 2125 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Using imgur for posting images
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 1514 UTC »

Thanks, Skip for the tips.  I think one of my errs was not setting up an account and trying to post image.  It appears imgbb allows you to post without account as I experienced.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 2240 UTC »
I post images from imgur without an account.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 1314 UTC »
Interesting, Charlie.  So that was/is not my problem with imgur.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 0322 UTC »
I don't know what to tell you. Websites can be weird.

When I encounter weird, very unexpected behavior, I always get out of the website and get back in to see if that fixes it. Sometimes I have to close the web browser as well. Sometimes I have to reboot the computer!
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 0419 UTC »
Yup, Imgur seems to work fine as a replacement for those image hosting sites we used a decade ago, all of which are long gone. I started without using a login, but set up a login account when I used my phone for posting. Works fine.

Only problem I have is remembering how to use the HFU's coding for embedding images. I've become spoiled by other phpBB sites that have more intuitive interfaces. Usually I end up just posting a link and leaving it at that.

I still have an ancient Photobucket account, which I haven't used since they switched to a hostage taking and extortion type business model. Apparently all of our old images are still there, but we can't view them, link to them or even delete them without paying ransom first. I get emails at least once a week asking if I want to retain or delete my old Photobucket account. I used to respond "delete," which they ignore. For awhile there was a browser extension workaround that enabled viewing Photobucket images embedded to discussion sites, but that extension seems to have been disabled. At least when MySpace went kaput they had the grace to actually delete (or give the appearance of deleting) our old accounts, and didn't try to extort users by implying those old posts might someday come back to haunt us. Photobucket is behaving like Pootie's Russia equivalent to an internet site. Minus the rash of defenestrations.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)