We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: End May Near for Calif. Evangelical Radio Network  (Read 2555 times)

Fansome

End May Near for Calif. Evangelical Radio Network
« on: May 13, 2013, 1523 UTC »
End May Near for Calif. Evangelical Radio Network
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The end may be near for a California evangelical radio network used by a preacher to predict — incorrectly — the apocalypse.

The Contra Costa Times reports (http://bit.ly/17hPOrP ) Oakland-based Family Radio has sold its three largest radio stations and laid off longtime staff members. Tax records show Harold Camping's nonprofit network saw its net assets drop to $29.2 million by the end of 2011, from a net worth of $135 million four years earlier.

Former and current insiders tell the newspaper donations have dropped almost 70 percent since Camping's Rapture prediction proved incorrect last year.

Camping convinced thousands of followers that the world would end, only to later post an online letter conceding he had no evidence of an impending apocalypse and will no longer predict global doom.

___

Information from: Contra Costa Times, http://www.contracostatimes.com

cmradio

Re: End May Near for Calif. Evangelical Radio Network
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 0459 UTC »
Those who let a coconut behind the mic will soon end up toasted macaroons ;)

Peace!

Offline taschenrechner

• Я робот. Я работаю на заводе.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: End May Near for Calif. Evangelical Radio Network
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 0856 UTC »
Hopefully somebody with better programming choices bought the stations and will make the ether that much more pleasant.
Airspy HF+ Discovery, Youloop.  SDR++, GQRX,
QSL to: kj4wna@gmail.com

Offline BBR

• Sleepy Hollow, NY
  • Alternative Dance Remixes and Electro-Rock
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 1814 UTC »
Camping always did seem sincere. Back in the day when his Bible Q & A show "open forum" was live,
it was always interesting to hear his scripture interpretations. Too bad he thought that he could
make predictions... maybe it was senility affecting his brain.... sounds like WYFR will be gone soon.
I remember when they bought WNYW in Scituate, MA and started, around 1973 I think.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 2030 UTC »
I remember when they bought WNYW in Scituate, MA and started, around 1973 I think.

I had an SW4-A with the WNYW logo on the front at the time.  I never did get an upgrade decal from Camping.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Re: Re: End May Near for Calif. Evangelical Radio Network
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 0608 UTC »
Hopefully somebody with better programming choices bought the stations and will make the ether that much more pleasant.

Amen
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 1307 UTC »
I also had a Drake SW-4A with the WNYW logo on it. I understand there were some made without the logo  and they are very collectable these days. I always wanted that big loop antenna that mounts on the top of the cabinet.  Saw one on ebay last year but the guy wanted crazy $$ for it, what else is new!
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 1559 UTC »
As for content, whew.  I don't mean to be a jerk, but WYFR gives me a headache.  Coconuts behind the mic indeed.  Oof! 

I wonder if this's going to affect the Florida transmitter site stations like RTI use for relays, though.  Hmm. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.