We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: PAN-PAN - Urgent Maritime MSG - 21 July 2023 09:48 UTC 8291 kHz (YouTube clip)  (Read 727 times)

Offline radiorandy

• FL
    • View Profile
    • Radio New Music Show on WBCQ's Radio Angela
21 July 2023 09:48 UTC 8291 kHz - International calling / distress frequency. English - can you help ID?

PAN PAN urgent maritime message? Hoping that somebody will recognize some clue that I missed!

Pan - Pan is not real clear until the third time it's spoken, but even then it's not really clear ... definitely not Sécurité, or Mayday. Two minute clip of entire message. Signal is quite noisy.

At about 55 seconds into clip - something about one "overdue one person aboard" or something like that. Only understanding bits and pieces. No ID on coastal station but sounds like Australian or NZ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4KdLbZXsM

QTH SE USA / Florida - Receiver Kenwood TS-590 / Antenna ground mounted trap vertical inverted L array combo over buried radial field ... or NVIS full size 160M dipole
... de WB9LUR
Kenwood TS-590 / Multiband vertical antenna over
buried radial field plus numerous boat anchors and
portables with an evolving array of wire antennas.

I also host the "Radio New Music" show on WBCQ's Radio Angela Shortwave

email: randywithford@yahoo.com

... de WB9LUR in N Florida

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Or potentially British.

In any case, they are on an international distress frequency and I do hope that they got in touch with the proper authorities to help.

Not to add insult to injury but if it were me in that situation I would have tried to establish a contact with somebody first before going into a long explanation of the situation they are in. No sense in wasting energy.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
I have scrubbed the audio a few times with filters in Audacity and this was a broadcast to mariners from a shore station with regards to a maritime incident.

This is what I was able to recover from the recording.

PAN PAN PAN PAN PAN PAN ALL STATIONS ALL STATIONS ALL STATIONS. THIS IS ? (call sign) ? (call sign) ? (call sign). PAN PAN FROM ? (call sign) 100921223 JULY 23. INCIDENT 3023 ? 48 REQUIRED. ? ... ON CHANNEL 4603 ... RECOGNIZE ANY SIGN ... ON BOARD ? ... 10352 NORTH 143 DEGREES 18?? ... AND DARWIN POSITION 12 DEGREES 15 MINUTES SOUTH 1?0 DEGREES ... ? ... AND REPORT TO ... THIS IS ? ...

Messgae precedence are as follows:
Safety or Securité
Urgent or Pan Pan
Distress or Mayday
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 0017 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline radiorandy

• FL
    • View Profile
    • Radio New Music Show on WBCQ's Radio Angela
Mystery Solved! Yesterday I logged and posted what I thought to be a "PAN-PAN" message. Heard again today with positive ID.

22 July 23 09:47 UTC 8291 kHz. One minute YouTube clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPW8zthCPjY

Message starts - repeated three times - with "PAN PAN" "All Stations" "This is RCC Australia"  "Victor India Charlie"

Missing vessel "Anytime" - besides the PAN PAN message the only info I can find online about this incident is on a  Facebook post :

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=748853413912263&set=a.505556054908668

I do believe that call sign VIC was simulcasting on same the frequency with multiple transmitters but will try to confirm that.

Randy / WB9LUR
Kenwood TS-590 / Multiband vertical antenna over
buried radial field plus numerous boat anchors and
portables with an evolving array of wire antennas.

I also host the "Radio New Music" show on WBCQ's Radio Angela Shortwave

email: randywithford@yahoo.com

... de WB9LUR in N Florida

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada

PAN PAN PAN PAN PAN PAN. ALL STATIONS ALL STATIONS ALL STATIONS. THIS IS RCC AUSTRALIA, VICTOR INDIA CHARLIE, RCC AUSTRALIA, VICTOR INDIA CHARLIE, RCC AUSTRALIA, VICTOR INDIA CHARLIE. PAN PAN FROM RCC AUSTRALIA 100921 UTC JULY 23. INCIDENT 2023 AT LAKE ? ... AUSTRALIAN NORTH COAST AND ADJACENT ? CATAMARAN ... ANYTIME ... ONE PERSON ON BOARD.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns