We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Something a little different (to me) on 11175  (Read 1347 times)

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
Something a little different (to me) on 11175
« on: August 04, 2013, 2333 UTC »
Two 30 character EAMs from "mainsail,"  at 23:09z and 23:15z. Not used to hearing Mainsail as an EAM identifier, an identifier usually used  when armed services aircraft is hailing any groundstation, which then identifies themselves by specific location (often Andrews, P.R. etc). Last I was listening EAMS were typically accompanied by a specific base identifier, as opposed to "mainsail" which is, I assume, intentionally vague.

As if to highlight this change, AX997 came on at 23:12 to hail mainsail for radio check.  When answered by "mainsail," they inquired x2 "what's your station?"  To this they were answered "cannot give that information over HF."  If I'm confused about when ground stations began refusing to identify themselves at least I'm not alone.

Addendum: Ah, I see this change was also noted in a post below.  Interesting that they are being more cagey about self-identifying in EAMs and in response to aircraft.  I did hear the "mainsail" voice from above slip at least once, and identified their location before transitioning back to mainsail.   8).   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 2341 UTC by LanceLovejoy »
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Something a little different (to me) on 11175
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 1158 UTC »
I tuned into 6739 khz at 0631z, Aug 6 UTC (still Aug. 5 local time) and heard three EAM's (30 characters each, if you include what appears to be the six character identifier at the beginning of each message) from "Mainsail". 

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).