We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: USA jamming Cuba now?  (Read 544 times)

Offline WA0093SWL

• St. Louis, Missouri
    • View Profile
USA jamming Cuba now?
« on: March 25, 2024, 0007 UTC »
For the past week or so on 12000kHz when RHC (Radio Havana Cuba) is scheduled to be on there has been a jamming noise on it.
RTL-SDR, HDR-14 (2), NS-HDRAD, NS-HD01A, VISTEON HDJUMP XHDATA D-109

Member of HFU since 2017
SWL: WA0093SWL
eQSL: WA0093SWL@proton.me

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: USA jamming Cuba now?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 1300 UTC »
Do you have a recording? I ask because knowing Cuba, they're likely broadcasting their own jamming signal by accident, and we'd be able to tell if we could hear it because theirs is a unique sound. The USA doesn't jam anyone's transmissions so if it is jamming, we can safely assume it's not American in origin.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 1500 UTC »
For the past week or so on 12000kHz when RHC (Radio Havana Cuba) is scheduled to be on there has been a jamming noise on it.

Supposedly, thats just a harmonic.

I've never gotten understandable audio out of 12000.. it's usually just a messy rumble pile of noise and s&^t
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline WA0093SWL

• St. Louis, Missouri
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 1814 UTC »
It's actually not a harmonic. The US is jamming the 12000kHz signal. I located the source to be from the Alabama/Georgia/Florida State line. It's strongest on the Tallahassee and Birmingham Kiwi SDRs

I've never gotten understandable audio out of 12000.. it's usually just a messy rumble pile of noise and s&^t
RTL-SDR, HDR-14 (2), NS-HDRAD, NS-HD01A, VISTEON HDJUMP XHDATA D-109

Member of HFU since 2017
SWL: WA0093SWL
eQSL: WA0093SWL@proton.me

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 2241 UTC »
It's actually not a harmonic. The US is jamming the 12000kHz signal. I located the source to be from the Alabama/Georgia/Florida State line. It's strongest on the Tallahassee and Birmingham Kiwi SDRs

I highly doubt the US government is jamming 12000khz.. it makes no logical sense, why theyd jam what is/was at one point and is ntoed as such on some websites, as a harmonic of RHC.......

If they wanted to jam something, theyd jam an actual RHC broadcast like 6000.  I'm sure the US has jammed stuff in the past on SW, but no lately these days that im aware of... if they did, theyd be no better than China jamming RFA, etc

Hearing it on SDR's doesnt mean a ton with SW... doesnty mean its coming from the AL/GA/FL state loine and fort all we know its a ham or someone with too much time on their hands.

Heck, WJHR in FL on 15555 is it? Uses old beaten down ham gear ... im not saying its them, what im saying is.. its not toop hard to broadcast on SW.

And if it wasnt a harmonic of 6000, whosever jamming it is runnign serious power for me to hear it in AK

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 1312 UTC »
I agree with Paul that jamming is a highly unlikely explanation, for the reasons he stated. Some kind of utility signal is far more likely, though I couldn't speculate about the who-what-why.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns