We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Don't pass up those 1980's Radio Shack Mixers!  (Read 824 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Don't pass up those 1980's Radio Shack Mixers!
« on: May 23, 2024, 2019 UTC »
With the Vinyl Revival now in a full-swing, let's talk about gear to use with that vinyl. OK, you have a couple of turntables, that use magnet cartrige pick-ups, but no line-level preamps built-in. You could buy a Magnet Level to Line-Level extrnal preamp, but one tool that I've always found useful, from the 1980's, 1990's, and even more so now, are the cheap Radio Shack, Realistic Mixing boards, CAT # 32-1200 and #32-1100, as seen from this link.    https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1986_radioshack_catalog.html?fb3d-page=53    Many of today's cheap and moderately priced mixers do not have an input for Magnet Cartrige Level turntables, but these mixers did, and are still widely available used. Yes, they will require clean-up, and some maintenance, like spraying contact cleaner in the slide POT's, RCA Phono Inputs / Outputs, switches, Cue buttons, and headphone jack. However, very doable. Want to add cassette decks, DVD audio, CD payer, Open Reel Deck, MiniDisc, 8-Track, MP3 audio, or something else? These mixers will still perform and be very valid to do so, today. I, have several of these mixers in my production A/V studios and On-Air Part 15 studio, and they are by no means obsolete. If, you see them for cheap, don't pass them up.
Recently, a co-worker quizzed me on, "What would happen if you were to apply reverse polarity to the Energizer Bunny?". Having no idea, I asked, "What would happen?". The answer is he'd keep coming and coming and coming...

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Don't pass up those 1980's Radio Shack Mixers!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 1225 UTC »
I think I actually have one of each of those sitting in storage, from back in the day when I used them to feed audio from multiple radios to speakers, computer line inputs, etc.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Don't pass up those 1980's Radio Shack Mixers! Uh-huh...
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 1746 UTC »
Yep, great for that as well, where multiple inputs, to a single outlet, is needed audio-wise. And yes, these mixers were, and still are, used by pirate ops. Dirty little secrete is that they were also used at college, and even commercial, radio stations. Hey, frequency-wise you've got broadcast spec's. Yes, engineers will gripe the the S/N Ratio might not quite be broadcast specs, but over-the-air, would the listener ever guess that? I doubt it... The bonus of these mixers is the fact that they are old-school, through-hole tech, meaning repairable by most folks and even some 21st Century upgrades could be added, like white LED's to the VU meters. And, schematics are still available for those. (Hmmmm... I wonder if I should scan and upload those to my Archive .ORG page?) And, you will still see these at flea-markets, Hamfests, junk stores, garage sales, whatever. If you see either model, 32-1100, or 32-1200, grab it. 
Recently, a co-worker quizzed me on, "What would happen if you were to apply reverse polarity to the Energizer Bunny?". Having no idea, I asked, "What would happen?". The answer is he'd keep coming and coming and coming...

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Don't pass up those 1980's Radio Shack Mixers!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 2328 UTC »
I used the $24 to record three demo CDs back in the day. I had two of them. One set up permanently for the drum set mics. The other one was to mix front mic / room mic for vocals and guitars. Very handy little devices.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns