We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: NEW RADIO MAGAZINE TO LAUNCH  (Read 1201 times)

Fansome

NEW RADIO MAGAZINE TO LAUNCH
« on: October 24, 2013, 0312 UTC »
[UDXF] New Magazine: The Spectrum Monitor‏

Mike Chace-Orti​z
To: UDXF@yahoogroups.com

NEW RADIO MAGAZINE TO LAUNCH

A new electronic publication, The Spectrum Monitor, will follow the final issue of Monitoring Times, a print and electronic publication covering amateur, shortwave and scanner-related topics, which ceases publication after a thirty-three year run following the retirement of its publisher, Bob Grove.

Managing editor, Ken Reitz KS4ZR, made the announcement in the November issue of Monitoring Times. "As the accolades poured in, all readers, regardless of how long they had been subscribers, expressed sadness and dismay at the closure of the magazine. I came to believe that there might be enough interest to warrant continuing the publication in some other form. I took it upon myself to explore the possibility of a follow-on magazine, not connected with Monitoring Times or Grove Enterprises, it's publisher."

The Spectrum Monitor will debut with the January 2014 issue, on December 15, 2013, and will carry virtually all of the current Monitoring Times columnists and feature writers. Reitz noted, "These are the experts in all facets of radio who have helped make MT the best, full-spectrum magazine available and we are all excited about continuing our work for the new publication."

The Spectrum Monitor will be available only as an electronic publication in PDF format which may be read on any desktop, laptop, iPadTM, Kindle FireTM or any other device capable of opening a PDF file. Details on how to become a charter subscriber may be found at www.thespectrummonitor.com.

Offline OldSeaRock

• Earth, TX
    • View Profile
Re: NEW RADIO MAGAZINE TO LAUNCH
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 1830 UTC »
Thanks!  Let's hope they bring back the Pirates column.
eQsl appreciated:  theoldsearock@yahoo.com
Listening on & off since 1968.  Howdy from Tejas!

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 2337 UTC »
Is Pop Comm. still being published? I haven't picked up a PC or MT in a few years. I also heard Pop Comm. dropped their Pirate listings some time ago. True?
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 2346 UTC »
Re: [UDXF] New Magazine: The Spectrum Monitor‏
Utility World (Hugh Stegman)

To: UDXF@yahoogroups.com

Utility World has been reincarnated as Utility Planet, and it will run
in TSM. The various adjustments will be made to the names of things,
though e-mail addresses will stay the same as they are now, in the
interest of sanity.

The only difference is that I plan to run loggings sent to my column
address on my blog, so they're more timely.  It's less work for me, and
better information for you.

Of course the important ones will get mentioned in the column as well.

8761 is a known Japanese fishery frequency.

-hugh

Offline OldSeaRock

• Earth, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 1523 UTC »
Email from Ken, The Spectrum Monitor

Thanks so much for your question and comment. I totally agree. Despite losing its pirate radio column in MT, as features editor (and as a longtime listener to HF pirate stations), I made sure that there was continued coverage of the area in MT. In TSM we have two shortwave columnists, Fred Waterer, who covers conventional SW broadcasting and Thomas Witherspoon K4SWL whom I have asked to cover unlicensed HF broadcasting in addition to all other SW aspects, in his new column. TSM is about monitoring the entire spectrum and there will be considerable coverage of all manner of activities on all the bands. Thanks again for your comments and question. Best regards, Ken KS4ZR

Ken Reitz KS4ZR, Managing Editor

Monitoring Times
eQsl appreciated:  theoldsearock@yahoo.com
Listening on & off since 1968.  Howdy from Tejas!