We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: RadioShack closing 1,100 stores as troubles grow  (Read 1774 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
RadioShack closing 1,100 stores as troubles grow
« on: March 04, 2014, 1429 UTC »
Looks like the final nails are being pounded into Radio Shack's coffin:

NEW YORK (AP) — RadioShack said it plans to close up to 1,100 stores in the U.S. and reported a wider quarterly loss after a disappointing holiday season.

Its stock tumbled 24 percent in premarket trading Tuesday.

CEO Joseph Magnacca said in statement that the store closings would leave RadioShack with more than 4,000 U.S. stores, including more than 900 dealer franchise locations. The company didn't immediately identify which stores will be closed or how many jobs would be affected.

http://news.yahoo.com/radioshack-closing-1-100-stores-troubles-grow-140330392--finance.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: RadioShack closing 1,100 stores as troubles grow
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 2353 UTC »
I stumbled on this site today, a collection of scanned Radio Shack catalogs: http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline thechoat

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 0403 UTC »
Thats odd most of those catalogs have radios on the cover,no cell phones in sight
Oklahoma
qsl to streetracerlx at gmail.com
Afedri SDR or Icom 746, home made OCF dipole

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 2226 UTC »
That was an interesting take on the Shack's situation, Al.  I can't figure out why corporate management has been asleep for so long.  I realize that the margins on mobile phones and contracts were fat and juicy in the late 90s but any armchair economist (like me) knows that fat margins eventually attract competitors, and competition, and shrinking margins.  Mobile phones might be popular and may have several more years of growth ahead, but they have long ago become a commodity and have lost their pricing power.  I just don't understand the Shack's dogged insistence on competing in that market.  Better they concentrate on accessories, adapters, hookup paraphernalia  and the like - the things that you need on Saturday afternoon and can't wait for Amazon to ship.  I also wish they would again cater to hobbyists.  Several mail-order electronics houses like Jameco have made that group their bread and butter.  As an earlier article suggested, RS has lost its reason for being.  I hate to see them on the ropes, but anyone could have seen it coming a mile away...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 0059 UTC »
Was poking around and found this.  Looks like their SW station list is stuck in the 80's also.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/communications/swave-6.htm
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline AbnersFarm

• Group W Bench
  • USA Northeastern Wisconsin
  • 4125 Alaska USCG JRC - 345 receiver . In the woods
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 0452 UTC »
In their magazine and book rack they sold Police Call. The Bible of scanning. So long.
JRC NRD 345 hf receiver. 135 ft. north/south long wire at 40 feet.