We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Don't use a LP filter, use a Diplexer instead..  (Read 3255 times)

Offline OZNRH

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Just listen and relax
    • Email
Don't use a LP filter, use a Diplexer instead..
« on: July 27, 2014, 1105 UTC »
Hi here  :)

What happen with your harmonic in a normal LP filter? They are sending back to your PA transistor as 'mismatch and heat'. Therefore send them to a separate 'harmonic load' instead, this is what a Diplexer do.

Best 73 from Ole  :)..
The romantic on MW and SW is still alive.
Take a look on my webside: http://radiooznrh.webnode.com/

Offline OZNRH

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Just listen and relax
    • Email
Re: Don't use a LP filter, use a Diplexer instead..
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 1111 UTC »
Here you can see the curves for a 49M Diplexer. There was no 'image space' in my first post.

Ole :).

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 1435 UTC »
An interesting concept Ole.  All of my previous builds have been about 40 watts carrier power or less so a diplexer is kinda overkill.  However, the Class D circuits I am now playing with would definitely be happier.  I generally calculate my LP cutoff for about 1/10 octave above the operating frequency.  What would you suggest for the LP and HP cutoff frequencies in a diplexer?
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline OZNRH

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Just listen and relax
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 1738 UTC »
@ ff  :)..

As a princip, I like 'overkill' in my equipment, both on my RF harmonics and the AF spectrum I send out (20 Hz to 6 kHz. with a soft clipper) and with a low distortion as possible. My listeners tells me, my AM sounds is near 'FM quality'.

Okay I know a Diplexer gives not a better harmonic spectrum, but it give my PA transistor in my driver more better work condition and that a good thing for both linearity and intermodulation in the stage.

The cutoff frequencies in a diplexer?

As you can see on my curve pic, its give me possibility to work down from 6 MHz and up to about 7 MHz. with reasonable data. Everything over 12 MHz. go to the load on the HP part.

Ole :).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 1741 UTC by OZNRH »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns