We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Wheeler Cites Obstacles to Pirate Enforcement  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wheeler Cites Obstacles to Pirate Enforcement
« on: August 25, 2015, 0918 UTC »
In a letter to several members of Congress from New York, FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has reiterated his commitment to tracking down pirate stations; but he also took note of limitations on what the FCC can do given other issues that need attention.

Responding to a letter signed by 16 members of the House of Representatives, Wheeler said the FCC remains committed to enforcement of the rules prohibiting unlicensed radio broadcasting. But he said this work is resource-intensive, with a typical pirate investigation requiring many hours of work by multiple field agents. “The time and expense of these cases present particular difficulties in the current flat budget environment, where the commission’s staffing is at its lowest point in 30 years,” he said.

As a result, the agency must prioritize its work based on existing resources and the need to protect the public. “Thus, matters posing an imminent threat to public safety or directly harming large numbers of consumers must take precedence over other matters, including pirate radio,” Wheeler said.

The letter, dated in late July, also stated that while it is theoretically possible that pirate radio interference could prevent listeners from hearing an EAS signal from licensed broadcasters, the FCC is unaware of any complaints alleging such interference.

Pirate radio also presents persistent enforcement issues. “Even monetary penalties and equipment seizures do not deter the most aggressive pirate operators,” he said.

Wheeler mentioned the inter-bureau task force that has been formed involving the FCC and NAB in an effort to develop policy and enforcement options to address pirating. Potential solutions from a June meeting included better education about the unlawful nature of pirate operations, additional enforcement options for reducing pirate activities and revision of the Communications Act to penalize those who aid and abet pirate operators.

The letter was in response to one from New York Reps. Yvette D. Clarke (D), Chris Collins (R), Joseph Crowley (D), Dan Donovan (R), Eliot Engel (D), Chris Gibson (R), Richard Hanna (R), Brian Higgins (D), Steve Israel (D), Hakeem Jeffries (D), John Katko (R), Peter King (R), Leonard Lance (R), Nita M. Lowey (D), Carolyn B. Maloney (D) and Sean Patrick Maloney (D).

A copy of the letter can be found under the following link:

http://www.radioworld.com/Portals/0/wheeler%20pirate%20letter%20aug2015%20LO.jpg
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wheeler Cites Obstacles to Pirate Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 0523 UTC »
...I suppose he would like to make it a crime to listen to pirates as well?

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 1040 UTC »
Isn't it true that listening to pirates is illegal in some countries? It would be interesting to see a list of these kind of restrictions on a country-by-country basis.

+-RH

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 0516 UTC »
Probably clandestine more than pirates.  You know, whoever doesn't tow the party line kinda stuff...

+-RH

Offline andrew uk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 0050 UTC »
The UK has always made it illegal to listen to >>unauthorised<< broadcasts and "to listen to, act upon or convey any information that a user is not authorised to receive."

Isn't it true that listening to pirates is illegal in some countries? It would be interesting to see a list of these kind of restrictions on a country-by-country basis.

+-RH

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 0844 UTC »
Awfully hard to enforce, no?

+-RH

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 1602 UTC »
Awfully hard to enforce, no?

+-RH

And maybe even harder to prosecute.  Unenforceable laws are only good for turning otherwise law-abiding citizens into de facto criminals, thereby opening them up for harassment, should the powers-that-be desire to harass them.  Unfortunately we have our share of unenforceable laws on this side of the pond too, Andrew... 
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns