We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Marlene Marder, Guitarist for Liliput, Dies at 61  (Read 1745 times)

Fansome

Marlene Marder, Guitarist for Liliput, Dies at 61
« on: May 20, 2016, 0905 UTC »
Marlene Marder, Guitarist for Liliput, Dies at 61

By JON PARELESMAY 19, 2016

Marlene Marder, whose blunt guitar chords drove the songs of the pioneering four-woman Swiss post-punk band originally called Kleenex and then Liliput, died on Sunday. She was 61.

Her death was announced by her record company, Kill Rock Stars, which did not say where she died or specify the cause.

Kleenex was formed in Zurich in 1978, during the early, arty, do-it-yourself years of the punk movement as it spread across Europe. The band started as the project of two of Ms. Marder’s friends, the bassist Klaudia Schiff and the drummer Lislot Ha, with two men.

At that band’s first show, the audience wanted to hear more but the guitarist refused to return and play the songs again. Ms. Marder, who had learned her friends’ songs, took over on guitar and stayed there.

The band’s initial four-song EP, released in Switzerland, made its way to the English disc jockey John Peel, who championed the band on radio. A contract with the British label Rough Trade soon followed. As the band drew notice, Kimberly-Clark, owners of the Kleenex trademark, forced Kleenex to change its name before releasing its debut album, “Liliput.”

Ms. Marder and Ms. Schiff remained the band’s core members through changes in singers and drummers. After making a second album, the band dissolved in 1983 when its lead singer, Astrid Spirit, became pregnant and decided not to tour.

Liliput’s sound — akin to that of the era’s post-punk English bands like the Slits, the Raincoats and X-Ray Spex — was skeletal, aggressive and sometimes herky-jerky, suddenly switching speeds and riffs. The band had a few songs in its native Swiss-German but sang mostly in English. Some songs used phrases picked out of English dictionaries or nonsense syllables yelped as background vocals, but others confronted violence and anger with taunting confidence. It was a sound that would echo through the riot grrrl movement and beyond.

“It was the language of people so full of resentment and desire, playfulness and fear, that they simply cannot keep quiet — discovering there was no reason why they should,” the critic Greil Marcus wrote in liner notes to a 1993 Liliput collection.

Ms. Marder stayed in music after Liliput broke up. In 1985 she published “The Diary of the Guitarist Marlene Marder, Kleenex/Liliput.” She ran a record store, and from 1989 to 1992 she performed on weekends with a hard-rock band, Danger Mice. She also ran a booking agency and later worked for the Worldwide Fund for Nature.

Marlene Marder was born in Zurich in 1954. There was no immediate information on survivors.

Ms. Marder oversaw reissues as her band was rediscovered in the 1990s by fans like Kurt Cobain of Nirvana. He named “anything by Kleenex” among his Top 50 albums.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Marlene Marder, Guitarist for Liliput, Dies at 61
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 1104 UTC »
Oooooo! Three deaths in two days. You're rollin' now, big guy!

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 0232 UTC »
Hey, I've got a quota to meet, even if it means I have to give them a little help...

Oooooo! Three deaths in two days. You're rollin' now, big guy!

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 1431 UTC »
Hey, I've got a quota to meet, even if it means I have to give them a little help...

A quota to meet ehhhh???
Fansome I have a list and... oh never mind...  Let me know when your done with yours and if you are still up to I'll give you my list.   ::)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!