We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Cow on garage roof disrupted television signal  (Read 950 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cow on garage roof disrupted television signal
« on: July 19, 2016, 1026 UTC »
The volunteer firedepatment Payerbach (Austia - District Neunkirchen) was dispatched to an unsual emergency on Friday night.
The caller reported a cow on a garage roof. The animal disturbed the television signal.
The cow on the garage roof would have gone unnoticed if it were not standing directly in front of the satellite dish.
The owner noticed the incident in fact only when his TV had no reception. He held lookup and discovered the escaped cow.

How the animal was able to break out of the pasture is unclear, because the pasture is secured with an electric fence and that was undamaged.
The cow left the garage roof before the arrival of the firedepatment, and joined back to the herd.

Source: http://noe.orf.at/news/stories/2786005/
Translated with Google
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Cow on garage roof disrupted television signal
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 1827 UTC »
When I was in my mid-20's I was living in a house on farm my cousin leased most of to a cattleman on the next place over. Loud clomping and crashes the old back porch, followed by a loud bellow woke me up one night. I opened the back door and found a cow stuck in the porch, the old floor wasn't able to support her.

I called the farmer and he brought his brother and his boys to get her out, which required a couple of skill saws to cut her a path. They put a new deck on the porch a week or so later, but in the meantime, you could see the series of hoof holes from where she made her midnight ramble up on the porch. I've got pictures of the path she created around here somewhere.

I've seen plenty of goats on roofs, but never a cow.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cow on garage roof disrupted television signal
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 0422 UTC »
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net