We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sometimes you can't leave religion out of our hobby.  (Read 1249 times)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sometimes you can't leave religion out of our hobby.
« on: April 11, 2018, 0109 UTC »
Well I finally found The Holy Grail.

Drake R8B AM SW Ham Radio Receiver ***Deluxe Shortwave Unit*** RARE Holy Grail

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drake-R8B-AM-SW-Ham-Radio-Receiver-Deluxe-Shortwave-Unit-RARE-Holy-Grail/282914625084?hash=item41df06963c:g:E~MAAOSwaVRax8Gn

And so reasonably priced. If the auction has ended it's possible that there will be a box on my door step within the week.

hallelujah
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes you can't leave religion out of our hobby.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 0232 UTC »
You're lucky. I got the R-8A way back when. A free "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" didn't come with those.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 1001 UTC »
But can it pick up WABC inside the Mt. Kisco A&P?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 1134 UTC »
Wasn't it the uber Dx'er, Harold Frodge, who herniated himself trying to lug a Collins 390 into a md-winter dx expedition site through deep snow in the last decade?

Harold is one of my favorite dx'er's, but there were times I don't think he thought things through? Is he still running loose?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 1606 UTC »
$388 isn't bad for a clean b model. I had sn #28 off the line, wish I still had it. They don't have the highs in the audio the same era jrc's do, however, I suppose this is due the need for serious rolloff when using lc filters to get any really steep skirts. I hated the fact a friend's 535 sounded crystal clear on the same sig where my r8 sounded muddy.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.