We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MIX International 4125 USB 0151 UTC 24 Nov 2018  (Read 3534 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: MIX International 4125 USB 0151 UTC 24 Nov 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 1957 UTC »
Regardless of the fact that pescadores use 6215 kHz...using a distress/calling frequency for pirate broadcasting is an all-around bad idea.  The US Coast Guard has extensive DF capability and has gone after people who caused interference on, intentionally or not, distress frequencies.  Sure there are fishing fleets in South America chatting away on 6215 kHz when they should be switching to another frequency after initial contact.  Maritime stations using 6215 kHz is not the same as a land-based station broadcasting a high power signal on 4125 kHz.  You can bet the USCG was listening.

In the future, I strongly recommend avoiding safety of life frequencies like 4125 kHz. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 2128 UTC »
It does seem like a frequency to avoid. Several ops in the past were busted presumably for interfering with important frequencies. Or in the case of Lad from Voice of the Night, he apparently QRM'd a Havana to Moscow CW net that some folks stateside were trying to monitor.  The guys in Ft. Meade most likely have the FCC DF department on speed dial, if you know what I mean.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Radio Station

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 2207 UTC »
If it was done once for a short time I doubt that it could be a problem. If it is done repeatedly on that  frequency or another one just as important that would be a problem. Since the band propergation was so long going into Europe going thousands of miles DF ing would be difficult for one transmisión.
Radio station

Offline Exo

• Coast of northern California
  • HF aficionado.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 2358 UTC »
If it was done once for a short time I doubt that it could be a problem. If it is done repeatedly on that  frequency or another one just as important that would be a problem. Since the band propergation was so long going into Europe going thousands of miles DF ing would be difficult for one transmisión.

DFing on HF is near instantaneous these days, with the right gear.
Many have tried out the TDoA kiwi SDR network, which takes a few minutes.
Just think how little time it would take with a network of DF experts and 3 elephant cages :)

QRMing the guys who are well known for their helos and DFers, is unwise.

Purely on principle, the Maritime distress channels, Search And Rescue channels, and Air Traffic Control channels should be considered sacred ground taboo.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 0005 UTC by Exo »
Exo
HF aficionado. On the coast of northern California.
Various receivers, transceivers, and broadband antennas.
kiwiSDR receiver on private LAN for multi-freq HF monitoring.

Offline Radio Station

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 0044 UTC »

DFing on HF is near instantaneous these days, with the right gear.
Many have tried out the TDoA kiwi SDR network, which takes a few minutes.
Just think how little time it would take with a network of DF experts and 3 elephant cages :)

QRMing the guys who are well known for their helos and DFers, is unwise.

Purely on principle, the Maritime distress channels, Search And Rescue channels, and Air Traffic Control channels should be considered sacred ground taboo.

Yes we have tried out Kiwi SDR including myself and others I have talk to off this form. It was quite interesting on how for off it shows in location with the interaction of HF propagation not like line of site FM broadcasts that have no sky Propagation going on. Even though there is better stuff out there. And again if a station gets enough of there attention I sure eventually in time they will be found. Just like all the pirate FM stations being shutdown across the country because they are considered a high priority.  8)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 0246 UTC by Radio Station »
Radio station

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 1957 UTC »
It does seem like a frequency to avoid. Several ops in the past were busted presumably for interfering with important frequencies. Or in the case of Lad from Voice of the Night, he apparently QRM'd a Havana to Moscow CW net that some folks stateside were trying to monitor.  The guys in Ft. Meade most likely have the FCC DF department on speed dial, if you know what I mean.

Lol we should have a guide for privateering of the airwaves to help budding privateers and corsairs avoid such gross malfeasance.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.