We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1700 KVNS Brownsville,Texas........  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
1700 KVNS Brownsville,Texas........
« on: August 04, 2011, 1050 UTC »
Coming in over the preachers in Huntsville,AL. at roughly 6:05 to 6:15 this morning. Deep fades but a solid signal on peaks,about an s-5. Clear ID at the end of the news at the top of the hour,then into 70's rock,not sure if it was Styx,REO,Journey,etc....? (It was one those interchangable arena bands of that era.)

Best MW catch of the summer for me. I need to tune down the dial more often when chasing pirates on 1710 on the morning greyline.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: 1700 KVNS Brownsville,Texas........
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 1359 UTC »
Nice catch. I keep forgetting that you can do MW DX, I gotta tune the X-band again and see what new ones I can pick up.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 1412 UTC »
When I heard them id as "The Voice of The Rio Grande Valley",I nearly fell out of bed. Not bad for a Grundig G5 and it's built in antenna in the dog days of August.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 1534 UTC »
I heard what sounded like them again this morning when the Huntsville station went into deep fades. It might be worth checking out if any of you guys roll out of bed in time for the morning greyline.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 2351 UTC »
Since KVNS is a fur piece from my Gopher Stomp home in N. Central Texas, it's almost DX.  Most summer nights, after the local sorta-simulcast from KLIF (mainly 570) powers down on 1700, I can hear both stations swapping via the fugloop, which doesn't have sharp enough nulls to completely weed out either.  Some nights this summer I can hear a third station in there, but haven't caught an ID yet.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)