We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Those Canadians - next thing you know, they'll have their own TV stations!  (Read 8060 times)

cmradio

Whenever I am in Canada, (every 3 or 4 years or so) I notice that the CBC is indeed a source of commonality among Canadians. What Canadians have in common is that virtually none of then listen to it!

True! :D

But CBC also folds like a house of cards. Remember Disclosure? It got too close to the truth. Paul Martin had a meeting and it was no more.

Yeah, and guess what? Martin was a LIBERAL! (I just added that for our American friends. Canadians are well aware of the shamefull record.)

All the more reason to ride the orange wave 8)

Peace!

Offline synthman78

• View Profile
Satellite, Internet and LPFM radio certainly are great alternatives for the listeners, but that doesn't pay the artists whose music gets played on these stations. Since most FM radio stations have playlists of around 400 tracks, only the charting artists get played. The CBC is the only network that played a lot of non charting, and independent music that generated royalties for those artists. College Radio playlists no longer factor into the royalty game, and the money that college radio stations pay into the pool goes to Top 40 charting artists instead. If it wasn't for the CBC a lot of would neither be getting royalty checks or national exposure.
Just my 2 cents as an artist.

cmradio

If you're an artist, you ought to know you're wrong there ;)

Stations pay a blanket license fee that's supposed to be divvied up to artists.

Even in the retail store I worked, we payed $400/month to SOCAN for playing CD's and DVD's to display our merchandise.

Even DJ's for bar's and parties pay $1200/year.... even if they play only Inde music (criminal bastards the collecting societies are... we will destroy them eventually).

Stingray Music, who now owns the Galaxie transponder, pays a crapload (the DJ I know says it's ~$10,000/yr for his channel alone)

If YOU never got paid, your label/guild/society hosed you, not LPFM or Satellite.

Peace!

Offline synthman78

• View Profile
Hate to tell you, but that is where you would be wrong. The royal pool that is derived from sources other than commercial terrestial radio, such as satellite, public performance (such as the store you worked in), foreign airplay, night clubs, dj performances ect. are divided up based on the commercial terrestial playlists. I'm self published, I manage myself, I know there is no one hosing me except SOCAN, thanks to budget cuts that went in effect years ago. So despite getting lots of airplay on alternative media like satellite radio and internet stations, as well as spending 8 weeks in the German Charts, that royalty money goes to the Shania's and the Celine's and the Bryan Adams' of the Canadian pop world, and not me. (Same goes for the blank CD tax). The only checks I get from SOCAN are from CBC airplay.

Just thought I'd clear that up for ya.

cmradio

Well, that just sucks ???

Society corruption at its finest >:(

Peace!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 0735 UTC by cmradio »