We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 2019 DGPS Massacre Update  (Read 2232 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
2019 DGPS Massacre Update
« on: September 05, 2019, 1018 UTC »
From the USCG Local Notice to Mariners:

Decommissioning of Mequon WI DGPS site:
The DGPS tower in Mequon WI has suffered a critical failure and is no longer able to broadcast. Since decommissioning of this tower was scheduled for September 2019 and repairs have been determined to be cost inhibitive it has been decided to decommission this DGPS site immediately

NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA-DGPS DISCONTINUANCE
In accordance with the DGPS Discontinuance FRN, the termination of the DGPS signals at Cape Mendocino, CA, Lincoln, CA, and Point Loma, CA will cease 30 Aug 19. For more details or comments contact LT Ruth Sadowitz, 510-437-3801 or ruth.a.sadowitz@uscg.mil.

These are all the notices I could find, nothing about the other stations scheduled for closure this year. Not only is the operation of DGPS apparently a low priority, so is their closure.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 DGPS Massacre Update
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 1108 UTC »
I found a few more and updated U.S. Coast Guard to discontinue service from remaining Differential GPS sites

However, the east coast districts had either a general notice or nothing at all.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 1225 UTC »
Thank for finding the others.

I was receiving Lincoln CA on the Sep 2-3 overnight recordings but not since. Last decode 1046z on the 3rd, about the normal time for it to fade out. Last solid decodes from Fort Stevens, OR and Appleton, WA the morning of Sept 1st

Cape Mendocino, CA was always a rare catch here, it will be missed.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 2018 UTC »
Another 2019 DGPS Massacre (with full orchestration and five part harmony and stuff like that) update

Pretty sure these stations are gone, based on recent logs. Well, lack of recent logs:
Whidbey Island, WA
Appleton, WA
Fort Stevens, OR
Cape Mendocino, CA
Lincoln, CA
Point Loma, CA
Wisconsin Point, WI
Mequon, WI

These two vanished when Hurricane Dorian came up the coast. Mequon suffered a tower failure a few days ago and the USCG decided to shut it down early rather than repair it, so who knows what will happen with them:
Driver, VA 
Kensington, SC 

Driver is a local here, and not on the air now (2011 UTC 7 Sep 2019)
Kensington should be coming in now, and isn't.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 1145 UTC »
I just realized these stations vanished on the September 3-4 recordings. They were present September 2-3.

Card Sound, FL
Tampa, FL
Cape Canaveral, FL
Driver, VA
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 1217 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 1728 UTC »
We'll be in great shape when gps fails.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 1859 UTC »
We'll be in great shape when gps fails.

We can always use LORAN... oh wait.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 0018 UTC »
Oh holy cow. You just had to say that. I am still very bitter about that, but not as bitter as the commercial fishermen.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 1208 UTC »
I think I have caught Detroit in the process of getting shut down. I was looking at the SDR waterfall in real time, getting ready to stop recording, and noticed the signal for Detroit (319 kHz) looked weird. Listening to it, it sounds like alternating mark and space symbols?

Checking my decoding so far, the last decode was at 10:00:43 UTC. I went back and listened to the recording, and that is the time the signal changed from the usual DGPS warbling to this other pattern.  Just after the TOH, so maybe this is when the tech arrived to do the deed.  I'll let the SDR continue to record since I can usually get Detroit past sunrise. Occasional the signal goes off the air and then back on. Pretty quick transitions, so I think it is being switched off and on, vs fading.

Too bad they can't send some sort of "GOODNIGHT" message like spy station E10 did when they went QRT.

Perhaps when he is done in Detroit he's driving to Cheboygan and then Upper Keweenaw next? Then Youngstown, NY (I used to live a few miles away from there in fact).

Here is what it looks like:

Hmm, at around 1220 it switched back to the usual signal.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 1224 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 0015 UTC »
My last decode from it last night was at 09:53:22. It rarely comes in here during the day so this is nothing unusual.

Yeah, it would be kinda fun if they had some special transmission to say goodbye.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 1003 UTC »
It's still going this morning as of 1001 UTC. The band is very quiet even though it is still dark outside.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD